Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large v. XL

shmoony
shmoony Posts: 17
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Any reason why one might prefer a large over extra large? (Besides more money of course). I seem to remember hearing some drawbacks with the xl from a functionability standpoint, but I can't remember specifics. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Nope. Waiting for my tax return for an xl.
    You see them in the competitions. Can't be too bad :D
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I have 2 large and an XL and planning on another XL. life is ducky!!!!!
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493

XL all the way,Love mine

LET'S EAT
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Bigger is better? Well yah! 
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    100% love my XL, having bought smaller before and regretted it with my WSM, if you head or heart says get the bigger one then get it.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Go big or go home
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Go big or go home
    Exactly! Love mine. Love mine so much my buddy got excited from hearing me and bought one. Don't hesitate on the XL. You will thank yourself for the extra space later. :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    I would just say to consider the quantities you cook and your budget. Although in the long run an extra $200 isn't much compared to the Eggcessories.

I bought the large, no regrets...but the XL is awesome!
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I went to a cooking class at my BGE dealer last summer.  They were cooking on two XL's and I was amazed at how much bigger they were than my large.

Wife and I are empty nesters and I have a Cookshack smoker also so the large is fine for my needs, but I'm kinda Jonesing for an XL and I totally don't need it.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    I have a large and love it but there are many times where I am trying to squeeze every inch outta that thing even with the two tier system AR from ceramic grill store. If I had the choice I would go with the XL and never look back.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • asfish
    asfish Posts: 25

I'm from the UK and have an XL, once I had seen pictures of the XL with 10 chickens in it there was never going to be any other size!

Odd though as the guy I bought from sold 100 or more eggs last year and only 2 of them were XL.

Helps him remember me when I call up for things

I still haven't done 10 chickens in the egg yet

Want another one next year and I'm putting money away each month, the wife likes the egg but will go mad if I get a 2nd

• Ajm450man
    Ajm450man Posts: 38
    Love my xl BGE the only way to go. Have had incredible success w everything i cook
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Love the XL but it does seem to be a little on the big side for Steaks/Wings/Chicken for my small Family.  It is the best for feeding the congregation and is a great way to get motivated to add a second in a smaller size.  Either way, you're in for a treat.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95