Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Max Rest Time for Brisket & Butt?

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Amazingly enough the brisket and butt I put on last night just reached 195 at exactly the same time.  Did the probe test on the brisket and it's like "butta."  The only issue is I'm probably 5 hours out from when we sit down to eat.  Can I let them rest, foil-wrapped, towel-covered in cooler for that long??

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sure and much longer in most cases. No problem at all. They will still be piping hot in 5 hours. Use plenty of towels.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    you will also want to put them in diierent coolers. If they are put in together, there is a big chance, they will over cook. The over cooking is due to 2 large pieces heating  each other up. if the the brisket is a packer cut, seperate the the point (large fatty end) cut it into cubes, put them in a pan and put some sauce, rub, and a bit of beef broth in the pan. Put the pan back in the egg and put in more wood. leave the pan in uncovered for a few hours. You will have sone fantastic burt ends.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Update.. By the time I pulled pork and sliced the brisket, they had been in the cooler for almost 6 hrs and as CT said, were still piping hot. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Phew. I made that up so glad it worked :).

Actually, I had one in for 12 hours a few months ago and was stil 160 internal when I pulled it. It was great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX