Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Turkey Leg

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi 

I have raised a few large turkeys  --  I have a couple of Tom's cut up into pieces and I want to "egg" a drumstick with a thigh attached tomorrow.  It likely weighs about 6 pounds (yes, these were huge birds, over 30 pounds each)   What do you guys recommend?  I am thinking maybe 250 indirect with a drip pan?  Usually we cook them covered in the oven at 350 and they are great,  just never tried putting one on the egg yet !!

Thanks in advance

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Can't help but I would love to see some pics and hear how you did it. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GlennM
    Options
    Anyone got any suggestions? I'm trying to decide if I want to do a slow cook or more like 350?
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I have never done a turkey leg.    I did a couple of whole turkeys on my grill before I got the egg.    I did the whole turkey at 350 give or take since I was using a cheap offset smoker and found the temp impossible to control
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • GlennM
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I hope to get a few more suggestions before I fire up the egg -- here is a before photo,  the beer is in the pic to give some perspective -- also,  this is a great beer !!   I am thinking putting it on indirect with a drip pan, couple of chunks of cherry wood and 225 at the grate.  If its not done by supper I will crank up the heat -- what do you guys think?  It's too nice a chunck of bird to waste.

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I would do it indirect at about 350 with a nice rub and hickory chunks. If I wanted to holiday the legs I would prepare some sausage stuffung and stuff between the skin and meat, also make sure to sea in this area as well with the rub.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • GlennM
    Options
    Well,  it's reading 180 in the drumstick.  Doesn't seem to be "fall apart" tender but it sure smells good.  I think I will pull it shortly and chew on it for a while !!

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Looks go.   Did you go 225?   How long?
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • GlennM
    Options
    I did 275 for about 4 hours.  I still have it on,  I'm going to pull it soon.  I wish I knew what the best temp would be,  225 would likely take 5 or 6 hours,  I don't know if it would be as tender at 350?  When we cook these in the oven we do 325 covered for several hours and they fall apart.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Looks great, wish I had one on right now.

George

George
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Do them all the time. 400 direct and raised grid. Takes about an hour.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.