Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork 1st Timer...Any Suggestions?

Options
BBQBear
BBQBear Posts: 11
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am interested in cooking a shoulder to make pulled pork for sandwiches for this Memorial Day weekend. I would like any suggestions on how to make it right on my first attempt. Should I cook a bone-in or boneless shoulder? Suggestions beyond that would be very appreciated.  

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Cook indirect at 250-275 dome. Pull at 205 internal temp. That's pretty much it.

Bone in or out, both are good.

Use the search function and you will see more info about cooking butts than you could ever read.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    We did our first turbo butt last weekend (have always done them low and slow).  Bought a 20 lb butt (bone-in) from Sams Club.  It has already been cut in half, so ended up being two approx 10 lbs each.  Slathered them down with yellow mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub the night before.  Egg'ed indirect with platesetter legs up (with drip pan) on grate at 350 degrees until the butt was 165 IT, then double wrapped in foil with a little apple juice until it reached 210 degrees.  Tasted just as awesome as ever and was done in a fraction of the time (6-ish hours).
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Going to be putting two butts on tonight for tomorrow (sometime), going to do one with the mustard and Bad Byrons, the other I want to play with I am going to take a look in the pantry and create my own rub. Planning on putting them on at about 10p tonight and let it roll. I love how easy pulled pork is and plan to freeze quite a bit from this batch.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We did our first turbo butt last weekend (have always done them low and slow).  Bought a 20 lb butt (bone-in) from Sams Club.  It has already been cut in half, so ended up being two approx 10 lbs each.  Slathered them down with yellow mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub the night before.  Egg'ed indirect with platesetter legs up (with drip pan) on grate at 350 degrees until the butt was 165 IT, then double wrapped in foil with a little apple juice until it reached 210 degrees.  Tasted just as awesome as ever and was done in a fraction of the time (6-ish hours).
    those were actually 2 butts in 1 pack (not 1 cut in half). Just didnt want you out there looking for 20 lb whole shoulders. The whole shoulder consists of the butt and the picnic. The butt is the shoulder blade area (hence the blade bone in it) and the picnic is the front shoulder with top part of the leg bone. They are easy to tell apart as they are shaped very different.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BBQBear
    BBQBear Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks for the help!!! I really appreciate!!!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thanks for the help!!! I really appreciate!!!

No sweat man. Glad to have you on board. Keep on keepin' on we'll be here of you need us.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX