Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

care of bamboo cutting board...

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here is a picture of the two cutting boards I got at a neighbourhood garage sale. The lady said that they are bamboo. Question is do it look like bamboo to you?? If so, I have heard bamboo is not hard on knives edges. Is that true? Next what would you suggest to pre-clean them before using, and then how to clean and care for them after. 
I paid $5 for the pair, so it isn't a big deal if I get bad reports on them.
 Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. I did breakfast on the egg today. 
TIA

Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    Hmmm. They don't look like the bamboo boards that I have.  But, bamboo can take on different looks.  As far as hard on knives, I took a knife sharpening course from Bob Kramer and I asked him specifically about bamboo boards since I had a few.  He said bamboo is a too hard to be good for knives.  He suggests maple.

As far as care, I use two oils for my blocks.

Both work fine.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• smokesniffer
    edited May 2012
    Interesting Gary. Thank you. You are using bamboo still?  Or did you change out? Should I use them or turf em?
     What going on the egg this weekend?
    Scot
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    Scot, I'm still using the bamboo, since I already have them.  When I buy one from now on, I'll look for maple.

Right now, I have Boston Baked Beans cooking on the Large Egg.  In an hour or so, I'll put the Jalapeño Cheese Cornbread on the Medium, then close to supper time, I'll put on two pork chops on the Mini and two ears of corn on the Large.  Just before pulling the chops, I like to glaze them with Jalapeño pepper jelly.

Life is good !

Folks, as you know, this weekend is not about BBQ and Eggs.  It's about the hundreds of thousands of our brave fathers, peers, and kids who have given the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy our BBQa and Eggs.

Every year, on the Memorial Day weekend, I fly an oversized American flag to honor the fallen soldiers.  It reminds me of the enormous Garrison flag flown at Ft. Sill when I was there.  They used to fly it on Memorial Day and it was an awesome sight.  It was probably 30 times the size of my flag.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• smokesniffer
    I was thinking about some baked beans for tomorrow, won't be able to egg tonight, heading off to a concert with my kids.
    I whole heartily agree with your thoughts regarding those who gave everything, so that you and I can enjoy our freedom. It can never be taken lightly or for granted. 
    Thanks for the reminder.

Enjoy your meals, they sound great. 3 eggs what a life,
    ;););)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Looks like bamboo to me, you probably know this already, but don't put them in the dishwasher!
  • http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/bamboo.htm
    Above link is a great resource to look at the end-grain and texture of the boards to determine definitively if bamboo or not.  I use bamboo boards and treat them with a mineral oil/beeswax blend which over time will seal and build up in wood cells to form a better moisture barrier. Emmet's Elixir is what I use primarily b/c it has extra oils of rosemary and lemon for their antibacterial properties. Added bonus!

I have not been too concerned with damage to knives b/c I try to limit direct hard "blows" to boards anyway.  Prob a bit OCD on my part.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Looks like Janka scale varies from 900-5000 kind of all over the map. Anyway the glue used for them is actually more of a culprit for chipping and dulling knife edges. Due to the material bamboo much more glue is used. In regards to care typically mineral oil and beeswax is useful for boards. I bought a boardsmith end grain maple magnum board and it was life changing. I would grab it if my house was on fire. If anything ever happened I would replace it immediately.
    His site has a lot of info on boards, board care, Janka scale, etc. he is a true craftsman.
    http://www.theboardsmith.com/
    Even some of the better end grain maple boards in general stores use too much glue not good for blades. That being said for standard kitchen knives you probably won't notice it. Might as well use it. Also, makes a good cheese tray.
  • smokesniffer
    Thanks for the info. Will look into getting some type of treatment for them.
    Large, small, and a mini