Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help. my egg is welded shut

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, [p] I did a burn to clean my egg with the last of what was left in the bag of cowboy lump, the gasket was alread pretty much trashed and crisp anyway , was getting ready to change it this weekend to a Rutland gasket, But now I cant open the egg it is like it is welded shut. What do I do? should I try and take a putty knife and lightly tap with a hammer all the way around the seal and try to free it that way? Thanks in advance.[p] Dave in Spring Hill Fl

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    DISH,[p]I didn't even have to use a hammer. I used a butter knife and the butt of my hand. One decent shot did the whole thing. [p]Don't worry. It'll be okay...[p]p.s. on the other hand, your egg is ruined. Please mail it to: Mark Backer, Suwanee, GA 30024
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    DISH,
    before i'd go the putty knife route, i'd stuff some newspaper in the lower vent under the fire grate, light it up, light up whatever lump is still in there, heat up the egg a little and see if that does the trick. .. if you still need to resort to the putty knife, i'd be really careful using a hammer. .. i'd probably use the palm of my hand... . a little heat should do it for you though.. ..

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I would have to agree. Put a few chunks of lump though the top (If you have the BGE Ash tool you can slide it down through teh top hole and drop a few pieces down into the firebox then light with news paper from the bottom and let her grank back up.[p]haywyre
    newsig.png

• Unknown
    Options
    DISH, I use a flathead screwdriver, right under the lid handle, slowly work in, give slight twist with wrist and it pops open. This came straight fro B.A. at egg central.

• Dixieland Delights
    Options
    DISH,
    I just had the same situation...ended up having to do all three...heating up, butterknife and flathead screwdriver...I have to admmit I was sketchy about prying around my pride and joy but no harm was done and she opened right up!