Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeah, I cooked the best pizza EVER!

Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
2nd time cooking on my xl.  I made a picture perfect thin crust pizza.  kept it around 550.  about 11 mins.  plate setter legs up, grate, then stone.. i looked to old posts for advice but there were so many contradictions i got more and more confused.. but i did get something out of it    Some spots got a little burnt or tough (still tasted wonderful) so next friday (PIZZA FRIDAY!) im going to try 475 ish.

not sure why my phone pic is sideways.. you get the gist. :)  

Dough was not quite cooked on the top under the toppings but it really wasnt noticable.. i may try cooking the dough for a whole sec first at some point.. trial and error.... 

i want to eat more but i am full hah :)

Comments

• Kristinnn
    by the way..my gasket is fine.. i was all worked up about frying it and not being able to grill my chicken tomorrow ..all for nothing :)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Looks good, but it looks to me like you have the plate setter legs down and the grate right on top of the platesetter.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Try plate setter legs down then use the ceramic legs from the egg to separate the stone from the plate setter. You will have an easier time keeping the temp up with the legs down.

George
    George
  • Kristinnn
    Try plate setter legs down then use the ceramic legs from the egg to separate the stone from the plate setter. You will have an easier time keeping the temp up with the legs down.

George

I didn't get any ceramic legs in mine. I noticed on the pack sheet they blacked it out with a marker
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    The feet have or are being phased out on the xl.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Try plate setter legs down then use the ceramic legs from the egg to separate the stone from the plate setter. You will have an easier time keeping the temp up with the legs down. George
    this works well
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited May 2012

George

I didn't get any ceramic legs in mine. I noticed on the pack sheet they blacked it out with a marker

Use something to separate the 2 (3 large nuts for example). The air between the ceramics will keep your stone from getting too hot. Your way will work fine also, you will get gunk from the grate all over your pizza stone though.
    George
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Your pizza stone is smaller in diameter than the platesetter, that's why your gasket survived.  My stone is larger, and that forces the hot gases to accelerate and concentrate at the edge of the stone, which just happens to be the same level as the gasket.  Blowtorch effect: gasket = toast!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I use my XL spider(legs down) on top of my platesetter (legs down) with my stone on top of the spider.  That raises the stone higher in the dome and gives me more space under the stone so I am not getting so much direct heat to the stone.  I have had very good results with this set-up.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Your pizza stone is smaller in diameter than the platesetter, that's why your gasket survived.  My stone is larger, and that forces the hot gases to accelerate and concentrate at the edge of the stone, which just happens to be the same level as the gasket.  Blowtorch effect: gasket = toast!  
    Close but no cigar. My stone is the exact same size as the plate setter
    A pizza stone the exact same size would be doing the same air effect as the platesetter. Same size or smaller than platesetter won't redirect any air like a pizza stone bigger than a platesetter will.
  • You can grill just fine without a gasket, just for future reference. The egg works fine without them, the main issue is getting the fire to go out one you are done , so worst case, you waste a little lump. Cook all you want with a fried gasket. Totally ok
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Cen-Tex, great point!
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Also very new with cooking pizza on the egg. I noticed it seems to be a learning process which takes time to master. With great tips from everyone I'll get there too. Thanks all.