Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's Prep in Advance

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where's Spring Chicken when you need him? I pray his surgery will go well. In deference to him and the fact I had company tonight, I made ABT's. Great as usual. But they took too long to make; mostly because of the prep time. A query to the seasoned ABT veterans: In what form do ABT's keep best before grilling?

Option 1: Split and cleaned Jalapenos in zip locks for how long?, stuffing in similar environment (I'm sure this would keep for very long time relative to the peppers.[p]Option 2: Stuffed pepper halves in zip-locks for days. Wrap with bacon just before grilling.[p]Option 3: Same as Option 2 plus wrap in bacon and then store in zip-locks in the frig.[p]Option 4: Same as Option 3 but freeze for indefinite period of time.

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    wdan,[p]I've probably made over a thousand ABT's so far between 2 Eggtoberfests and other events. I would try only 1 and 3 as far as options go.[p]#1. I would guess a couple of days, but they may go soft.[p]#3. I have put completed ABT's in a large bowl and covered with saran wrap for several hours without any issues. I bet I could do them the night before (and will try it for the Eggtoberfest in Atlanta).[p]I've never tried freezing.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]I have made ABT's complete with the bacon and stuffing up to two days ahead of time and could tell no difference in texture or taste. I would suggest removing from the refrig to come toward room temp before cooking (kind of like steaks).[p]Kent
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    wdan, don't freeze ABTs - the pepper does not freeze well, when defrosted they get soggy/muhsy

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    wdan,
    i think the night before or the morning of would be fine for abts stored in a tupperware or something. ive gotten pretty fast with making them. used to split one side only and clean, now cut in half for 2 abts. use a small spoon with a sharpened tip for a quick scrape. use wet disposable gloves when adding the filling, the cheese etc doesnt stick when the goves are wet. stretch and wrap the bacon, no more toothpicks. maybe takes a little over a minute each to make them and im not real fussy when scraping the insides, like to leave a little heat in there

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cuppy
    cuppy Posts: 12
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    hey, you all abt makers , anyone ever make these using another kind of cheese.(rather than cream cheese). appreciate any comments on this. thanx

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    wdan,
    Just one small thing to add. Someone (Mollyshark, I think) suggested the use of a grapefruit knife to clean the peppers. It really makes a difference in production speed![p]Paul

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Essex County, I don't mean to split hairs, but a grapefruit spoon works better for me with it's serrated edge to scrape than a grapefruit knife.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]They freeze pretty well AFTER you cook them. I made up a large batch of them for a party that last minute got cancelled. Due to the fact I was on a strict diet I couldn't eat them all (although I really wanted to) I froze them. Brought them reheated in the BGE to the rescheduled party a couple of weeks later and they were every bit as good as ones freshly cooked.[p]I agree that they probably would not freeze well BEFORE you cook them.[p]Mr Beer