Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Beer Can Chickens low and Slow

elong
elong Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in Poultry
I am thinking of doing some pulled chicken for a get together Sunday. I am thinking of doing the beer can method and using Pecan wood for the smoke. 225-250 always seems to be the right temp for low and slow. the question is, how long? I don't want to over due it but I do want that fall off the bone consistency like a pork butt. Any thoughts? Thanks so much

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I haven't done chicken that low.  I'll be interested to see what people think.  I'm guessing the skin will not get crsip
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Sure will. Dry the bird overnight uncovered in the fridge to increase the odds, but i get crisper skin either going lo and slow or raised higher into the dome, or both.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    265 dome temp will be about 45mins/1hr per lb. Be sure to trim the fat all around the thighs or they may taste mushy.
  • elong
    thanks for the input! I'm not too terribly worried about the skin (although it's my favorite part). I want to try to keep it moist but get it tender enough to get it off the bone easily. All of this helps a lot. Hey stike, is there EVER a post you don't comment on? :o)
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

For me ( My experience on the egg - 2 months, still a newbie)  I have done spatchcock chicken frequently, Low and slow and 350 to 375.  In my opinion, chicken doesn't have to be cooked low and slow in the egg, it will turn out just as juicy in higher temps, my big thing for low and slow is pork and beef, because I can add more smoke flavor to those meats - Chicken for me doesn't need alot of smoke.

I started low and slow on the egg with chicken because before the egg, I was using a Bradley electric smoker and the max temp was 250. 

• TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    I've done this several times. Very good. 225-250 pecan. I use a mustard BBQ sauce.

Thx,

TarHeelBBQ
  • elong
    tar heel....how long did you cook it?  thanks!
  • stike
    edited May 2012
    @brentsee...

low and slow doesn't always mean that you are taking it to pullable (shred) temperatures.

for example, you can go low and slow with a rib roast (commonly referred to as 'slow roasted'), because it will uniformly raise the entire chunk of meat to a more gentle internal temp, while still providing a roasted/crusted fat exterior.  but no one is advocating taking that prime rib roast to 200 internal.  it's just the method is still a low and slow cook, but stopping at 130 or so internal.

low and slow often means BBQ (shredded pork, pulled beef, ribs, etc.), where the temp is held over a long enough period to break down collagen and render fat, but it doesn't universally mean that.  it is a great gentle method for roasting large chunks of meat to carving temps.

with chicken, in a BGE, it allows the chicken to sit in a long enough draft that the skin is dried out not just by the heat, but by evaporation.  as long as you stop cooking when the breast hits your desired temp, you won't be overcooking it. 

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    I've done it before and really enjoyed it. The skin got very smokey (beyond editable) but the meat was really tender. I think high heat chicken is a little bit more most though not as tender and I usually cook it that way because of that and because it's faster. I think you'll be happy with it low and slow though.
  • tvest43
    tvest43 Posts: 20
    This is gonna sound gross, but it really makes a difference.   Coat the bird with a coating of Kosher salt for 2 or 3 hours before you cook it.  Rinse well, and then do your favorite rub.  Unbelievable how juicy that makes it.  No salty taste at all, and really firms the skin.   Try it.  And I mean, like a coating of snow. 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    This is gonna sound gross, but it really makes a difference.   Coat the bird with a coating of Kosher salt for 2 or 3 hours before you cook it.  Rinse well, and then do your favorite rub.  Unbelievable how juicy that makes it.  No salty taste at all, and really firms the skin.   Try it.  And I mean, like a coating of snow. 
    Not that excessive with salt, but my mom salts (along with herbs or marinade) above and below skin of her chickens before she eggs and has some damn tasty chickens.
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    I cooked it between 225-250 indirect with beer can style. Cook until 160 degrees internally. Great food. You won't be disappointed.

Thx,

TarHeelBBQ
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

does beer can style chicken require a rub to have the best taste????  or does the beer handle the bulk of the work??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• stike
    it's debatable whether beer actually does anything.

season as you would normally.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    thanks stike! am new here and appreciate your help....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

does beer can style chicken require a rub to have the best taste????  or does the beer handle the bulk of the work??

You need a rub the beer does almost nothing except keep things moist.   I have used beer, Mt Dew, and OJ and can not tell difference
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

@ pasoegg-you may want to try spatchcock chix...on the BGE it beats beer/liquid can chix every time for me.  Easier prep/serve and much more moist.  Here's a link that is great for all things ceramic and the recipe section describes spatchcock chix:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    i think the only real benefit to the can is that it stands the chicken up.  the beer imparts no flavor, and never really steams. given that the chicken's cavity is lined with a waterproof membrane, even if it did steam, it would go straight up and out the chimney.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    What stike said. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    hey pal wait just a min..... oh.  nevermind
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    i even if it did steam, it would go straight up and out the chimney.
    Which is why I plug the neck hole with an apple or onion.  I use water.  Never noticed any difference by using beer of wine.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys