Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Overnight cook - can see smoke coming out back of egg

Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I fried my top gasket this past week and BGE is sending me a new high heat one. Meantime I thought my seal was tight so fired it up to do an overnight cook (shoulder). When I added the wood chips though and the smoke was trying to find every crack possible to get out - I noticed a little smoke coming out the back of the egg.

Wasn't terribly much, and was only when the initial chip smoke had nowhere to go so it made its way out there. That said - it does tell me my seal is not air tight.

Is this going to be a problem for such a long cook? I have a drip pan with cider/water for extra moisture so I hope that will help. Can't imagine it will RUIN the cook but hope it wouldn't make a difference between good and great. Thoughts?
·

Comments

• uncledaveuncledave Posts: 87
    My gasket has been fried for months. It hasn't affected my low and slow cooks.
    ·
  • cssmd27cssmd27 Posts: 148
    Short answer: no problem n
    ·
  • tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    Same issues with mine and no problems.  Post pics!
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,516
    The only problems  might be needing a different vent setting than usual, and a slow and lump wasting shut down. Otherwise, your fine.
    ·