Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

packer brisket

uncledaveuncledave Posts: 87
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a 14.5 lb. brisket from Cashway. $2.50 a lb. I am cooking it for Sunday night. Low and slow. I plan on cooking at a 225 grid and am shooting for a 200 internal. Roughly how long of a cook am I looking at? I picked up some brisket rub at Cabela's that says to mix it with a gallon of water and basically brine the brisket for 6-8 hrs. I have never heard of this, Of course the bottle of rub claims to be championship grade. Anybody familiar with this?

Comments

• I would cook it a little hotter (250-260 seems to be the sweet spot on my Large. No need to add all thetime that comes with cooking at 225. You are still looking at a 18-20+ hour cook.

• uncledaveuncledave Posts: 87
    Ok. Have you ever brined a brisket?
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Better to inject IMHO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,338
    sometimes the packers come with a thick fat cap.  if thick trim to 1/8" - 1/4" thickness.  as LS says, injecting is mo' betta.  smoke indirect with fat cap down on grid.  oak, pecan or hickory are good for smoke.  as CT says, 250ish good.  might get done little quicker than 18 hours.  195 might be betta than 200.  wrap in foil and put in cooler for an hour or so.  the brisket flat dries out quickly, so slice right before serving.  do you plan to trim the point and make burnt ends.  

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

Hey T,

Sorry you couldn't make it to GA Mountain. Good times man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,338
    sorry I missed it, wife and I were looking forward to it.  On the calendar for next year.  

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    I don't know what you mean by burnt ends. You say 195 is better than 200?
  • Some people make. Burnt ends out of the point of the brisket. You can search recipe's on here and see how. 195 seems to be the sweet spot for me but every one's a little different.

• I don't brine but many opinions out there. I am old school. Dry rub\smoke.

If I want to try to make burnt end out of the point do I cut it off from the flat when I am pulling it off the grill to wrap in foil? The point is the fat part right?
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited May 2012
    Texans don't know $h*t about pork butts, but we do know our briskets.

I'm with Cen-Tex.  No brine.  Put rub on prior to smoking.  Cook at 225 is fine.  Shoot for 200 IT but use fork test for tenderness.   Optionally, put sauce on at 160 and foil.

After pulling, FTC - foil, towel, cooler for a couple of hours.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• alyndalynd Posts: 97
    after the point is removed, do you need to let it sit before cubing it for burnt ends?
    Do I remove the point right when I take the brisket off of the grill or after the rest?
  • Do I remove the point right when I take the brisket off of the grill or after the rest?
    If you want to do burnt ends do it right off the egg and rest the flat.