Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Killer Summer Cocktail for Eggin'

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cen-Tex found his way to Santa Cruz CA today in a strange twist of fate. Working in San Jose Tomorrow but took the road less traveled to hang out with the weirdos....and there were many. Of course found a killer spot for dinner and cocktails and went off the grid for a few hours at Natural Bridges Park at the beach.

Anyhow, ate at this place called Oswald. really good spot and Hans, the German Mixologist behind the bar rolled this little gem out for me:

1oz bourbon (I prefer Woodford)
Locally sourced orange fig bitters (lady who made it was sitting next to me at the bar- her contact info is included in the post)
muddled black Cardamom (Indian Spice found at indian groceries and critical to this recipe)
Lemon twist
splash of Ginger Beer
Splash of Anchor Steam (Beer)

This was ridiculous. I know it's a crazy drink but that is exactly why I posted it. This is a "blow your mind" summer cocktail for guests. We're (this forum) always looking for weird and unique stuff to look cool in front of others and this was exactly that. 

Cheers,

Tex

(If you think this should be in "off topic" then so be it. Sorry)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Tough road trip for sure-great scenery but dang the politics.  May have to give it a shot but early on in the cook-too much mixology for the extended duration.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tough road trip for sure-great scenery but dang the politics.  May have to give it a shot but early on in the cook-too much mixology for the extended duration.
    I could care less about their politics. I'm here for me and live accordingly (as I do everywhere). I love renting weird days and people in my life and Santa Cruz is a rental hot spot. Great place to hang, but could not do it for a living. 

And agreed on the long term duration of the cocktail. It's too sweet for me to drink a lot of. Just thought it was a cool thing to throw down for a guest or party before moving on to more practical bevs (more practical bevs = bourbon and ice, or vodka and soda)

• lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Options
    Santa Cruz.  yes.  Used to travel on business a lot to put up with  (err, service) West Marine in Hollister.  Always stayed at the Sea and Sand.   Always took the PCH vs the traffic on 17 down from SFO.
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • lemonade
    Options
    sorry, point being, it is a cool town if you know how to let your hair down.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I lived in Santa Barbara and San Diego for a few years.  I so do miss SoCal.
    I love All-Cal. I'm all in on Cali. Of course I just visit 5 times a year on the company dime and spend most of my time in SF and wine country. Tough work if you can get it :)

• lemonade
    Options
    I recall a good BBQ place in SB, over run by chess players, don't recall the name..   lol  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Super rica is the Mexican place everyone talks about. Everything but the tritip is great.
    Tri tip sucks. I've chased it out here for years. Save your money and eat at a good spot. Best tri tip I've ever had (and it was fair) was off my egg.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I really like tritip (hence the handle) although it is a bit over rated. It's actually a specialty cut her in canuckistan and frequ goes for $8 a lb. Screw that.

Rather, I get sirloin cap steaks which I think are better. I use the morro bay rich rub , smoke for an hour with red oak until 118f then a quick sear. Quite marvelous really. Give it a try. I've used that method and have been told by many people that it us better than some great BBQ joints. Give her a try. I'm sure you can get some red oak out there. I think I've seen bags of chunks at whole foods even.
    OK. I'm in. I can find all that stuff easily. I've heard nothing but good on the Morro Bay Rich Rub. I'll reconsider and try again. I keep trying to figure out why people love a  sh*t cut of sirloin so much but I'm willing to dig in and find out

• volntitan
    volntitan Posts: 95
    Options
    Just give me a fine craft beer while cooking and I'm good...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fair enough. There was plenty of craft beer in this drink. It was much more a beer than a cocktail. A summer shandy if you will :).
  • volntitan
    volntitan Posts: 95
    Options
    Mmmmm....beer.  Nothing better than having to tell the wife "no...I can't go shopping/visit your mother/clean today.  I'm cooking dinner for everyone" and then going to the beer fridge and getting a nice IPA or cracking open big stout or sour, turning on the tunes and sit on the deck and "cook"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Mmmmm....beer.  Nothing better than having to tell the wife "no...I can't go shopping/visit your mother/clean today.  I'm cooking dinner for everyone" and then going to the beer fridge and getting a nice IPA or cracking open big stout or sour, turning on the tunes and sit on the deck and "cook"
    My kind of "cook" and it takes all day as well:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Same reason a sh.t cut of beef (brisket) can be awesome if done right.

Skip the bastings. Not worth the hassle.

I live in the SF bay area and thus have been eating tri tip my whole life. My favorite after a good steak. I have to agree with the skipping the basting. I tried basting one and the dripping oil caused a very off putting smoke flavor.

I usually sear then roast, and agree on the red oak it's great. I'll give a try to the sear after method what temp do you smoke at? Direct or indirect?
    George
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  Next time you're in Santa Cruz send me a message. I was raised there and live up the road in Felton (mountain folks are a lot different than what Santa Cruz is now). I would be happy to cook some good tri-tip or top cap sirloin and have you over. Have a good trip.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Being a Kentuckian, I would take the Woodford and a nice glass of ice and call it a great drink.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Billy ray- I'll take you up on that. Plan to be back in July. Santa Cruz was a hoot. but damn, it's like a bomb filled with dirty hippies went off and nobody bothered to clean it up :))

Gte- I'm in SF today as a matter of fact. What's up with this hurricane force wind out there? Hope my flight makes it out in the AM.
  • Rob123
    Rob123 Posts: 7
    Options
    Cen-Tex found his way to Santa Cruz CA today in a strange twist of fate. Working in San Jose Tomorrow but took the road less traveled to hang out with the weirdos....and there were many. Of course found a killer spot for dinner and cocktails and went off the grid for a few hours at Natural Bridges Park at the beach.

Anyhow, ate at this place called Oswald. really good spot and Hans, the German Mixologist behind the bar rolled this little gem out for me:

1oz bourbon (I prefer Woodford)
    Locally sourced orange fig bitters (lady who made it was sitting next to me at the bar- her contact info is included in the post)
    muddled black Cardamom (Indian Spice found at indian groceries and critical to this recipe)
    Lemon twist
    splash of Ginger Beer
    Splash of Anchor Steam (Beer)

This was ridiculous. I know it's a crazy drink but that is exactly why I posted it. This is a "blow your mind" summer cocktail for guests. We're (this forum) always looking for weird and unique stuff to look cool in front of others and this was exactly that. 

Cheers,

Tex

(If you think this should be in "off topic" then so be it. Sorry)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Being a Kentuckian, I would take the Woodford and a nice glass of ice and call it a great drink.
    Me too. I have....cough......one or 2 every day and might just be having one right now :)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Me too. I have....cough......one or 2 every day and might just be having one right now :)
    Yes sir.  Woodford is made about 30 miles from my little town.  It is smooth on smooth.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Billy ray- I'll take you up on that. Plan to be back in July. Santa Cruz was a hoot. but damn, it's like a bomb filled with dirty hippies went off and nobody bothered to clean it up :))

Gte- I'm in SF today as a matter of fact. What's up with this hurricane force wind out there? Hope my flight makes it out in the AM.

It can blow quite a bit this time of year, temp differences of 40 plus degrees from the ocean to only 30 or so miles inland cause lots of wind. Late August thru early November is when you want to be in SF. June and July are cold as hell in The City.

Mark Twain's quote "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" could not be more accurate.

George
    George
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No lie. 75 and sunnyall week. Rolled In today and it was like a different country.
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Caesar lots of ice and some lime  
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Try this...........Jim Beam Black, Ice Cubes, a splash of Sprite Zero......a low cal drink and a minimal hangover.
    Of course if you drink them like beer there is a fair chance that you MAY feel " weird"  in the morning?
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    John Daly's are also great.  Arnold Palmer + vodka.