Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Juice on my Brisket??

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm wanting to tackle both a brisket AND a butt this weekend and that will be a first.  I have limited options on my setup - due to the clearance on my extender grate, I'm going to have to place the brisket over the butt.  So all the dripping from the butt are going to rain down on the bristket.  Anybody see any problems with that?

Comments

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Considering how good bacon strips are over a beef roast? probably not a bad idea all in all.
    Pentwater, MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Should be good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

@ OP-I'm a bit confused-part one has brisket over butt, part two has worries about dripping from the butt raining on the brisket...regardless "all good".  Enjoy-and cook each to their own finish temp.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Dan lives in StL, Australia.  ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Dan in StL
    Options
    @lousubcap... dang, I did screw that up.  The BUTT will be over the brisket.  Just gonna go for it and hope for the best.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Your brisket bark probably isn't going to be as formed as cooking a brisket alone but other than that you shouldn't have any issues.  Realistically, whatever meat is on the bottom will have some rub washed off by the dripping.  I've done it before and had no complaints (other than me wanting a little more bark on the brisket).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great point R2. You can add some rub to the brisket when the butts are coming out of the stall (they won't drip much more after the stall) and it should firm up again if that's important to you.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    I always do butts over my brisket(when i'm doing them together. The butts weep a lot more than the brisket do so they baste them quite nicely.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    done it that way many times, i get my butts pretty well trimmed, almost no fat cap, i think that helps, bark on brisket is always good, i cook fat down on the brisket

bark looks good to me

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Pork basted beef.
    Sounds likewinner to me.
    Next time I do a butt or brisket, be sure I'm putting the other on for quick meals.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    done it that way many times, i get my butts pretty well trimmed, almost no fat cap, i think that helps, bark on brisket is always good, i cook fat down on the brisket

bark looks good to me

There you have it.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    the title of this thread made me laugh, just saying :))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh, I'm sure it was just coincidental. Look up the "anal" thread if you like some good word play
  • Dan in StL
    Options
    Ok Fishless... now I'm really looking forward to this!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I read butt juice and strangely I'm still hungry after seeing fishlessmans pics.
    :-/