Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any of my fellow Texans have a great sauce recipe?

Options
Eggucated
Eggucated Posts: 213
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a great sauce recipe similar to Salt Lick or other Texas style sauce?  Want to try and make my own sauce, tired of getting hit or miss bottles of "sauce" from the store.

Mike
Displaced Texan living in Georgia
Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I do, but I'm not a Texan so I guess you're sh*t out of luck.
  • Eggucated
    edited May 2012
    Options
    How about...  does anyone have a Great "Texas Style" recipe they would love to share?  :)
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    That wasn't me.....haven't been there in a few years, and I've never taken pics while there.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice Quinn ! Funny. I have one on here somewhere but can't search from my iPhone. I'll post later if you don't find it. It's essentially ketchup, mustard, worcheshire, dizzy pig and coffee porter or coffee stout.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggucated
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Quinn...  I was looking at the Off Topic thread started by NecessaryIndulg.  Not sure why I thought that was you, sorry!  The craving must be impacting my thought process more than I expected.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Several people have told me that this is, by far, the best BBQ sauce they have ever tasted.  The author is Bill Cannon, owner of Texas BBQ Rub.
    1 28 oz. bottle Hunt's Ketchup
    1 19 oz. bottle Jack Daniel's Honey Smokehouse BBQ Sauce
    1 can Rotel, Mexican Lime & Cilantro
    1 medium Onion , chopped
    2 tablespoons Garlic, minced
    2 cups Brown sugar, or 1 c Splenda Brown
    ½ cup Texas BBQ Rub
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons Mustard, Yellow prepared
    ¼ cup Chili powder
    ½ cup Pineapple juice
    2 bottles Water, from Empty ketchup bottle
    1 can Water, from empty Rotel can
    1 bottle Water, from empty BBQ sauce bottle
    1.Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, Rotel and chili powder in a large pot. Start cooking on the stove at medium temp. Add the water (you will get out all of the extra sauce from the bottles this way). Stir in garlic and brown sugar . Stir in the rub. Add the chopped onion, worchestershire sauce, and mustard. Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add pineapple juice. Let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer is better). I usually simmer mine for about 2 hours.
    2.Serve as a side dish for those who ask for it. Use it in the brisket recipe.
    3.Makes about 4 quarts. You will use some of it to finish off the brisket and the other to serve. Keeps for days in the frig.
    4.For BBQ sauce for pork, delete the Rotel and put in 1 can of Peach Nectar.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggucated
    Options
    Awesome VI!  Thank you sir!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll Try that one.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do, but I'm not a Texan so I guess you're sh*t out of luck.

With MQ's attitude he is as close to being a brother of the Long Star as we can get of one not having the honor of living in Texas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Ha ha Mickey...my wife is from austin....she has a bunch of family there, San Antonio, and out east in Gladewater. We make it that way once or twice year...particularly Tyler/Gladewater (her grandma is there so it's a gathering place on holidays)

Here you go Eggucated...

1/2 cup diced onion, 2T butter, 15 oz can tomato purée, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1T cider vinegar, 1T worcestershire sauce, 1T mustard (any kind u like), 1/4 cup water, 1 diced jalapeño (more or less based on heat preference), 1T lemon or lime juice, 1 cup dark beer

In saucepan, sauté onion in butter until soft. Add remaining ingredients, simmer gently uncovered for 15 minutes.
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Quinn...  How's this for small world.  I was born in Longview and have family all over Gladewater, Liberty City, East Mountain, etc.  Thanks for the recipe!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    2 Tbspns butter
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1 1/2 tsp chile powder
    2 cups tomato juice
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2 Tbspns Worcestershire
    1/2 tsp mustard powder mixed in a bit of water
    1 tsp minced chipotle
    2 Tbspns molasses
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Melt butter, saute onion and then garlic, then add remaining ingredients, simmer 20 minutes.  I got this recipe from Cook's Illustrated, tweaked the amount of vinegar but otherwise have used it on brisket for years.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggucated
    Options
    Thanks Botch!  Looks like I'll be cooking a lot of Brisket this summer. I can't wait to get started!
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Ok, I just realized this wasn't in the Sauces, Rubs, Marinades sub-forum.  Not sure what happened as I had intended to post there.  Is it possible for a moderator to move this thread for me?  I tried, but "Permission Denied!"

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Quinn...  How's this for small world.  I was born in Longview and have family all over Gladewater, Liberty City, East Mountain, etc.  Thanks for the recipe!

Born In Longview and have Family all over Gladewater, Kilgore and White Oak. My Family is one of the founders of White Oak.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.