Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lesson Learned

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've got 2 butts on and I thought I'd just wrap the platesetter in foil instead of using a drip pan. I never thought the butts would let off so much juice. I went to peak at the temp and saw liquid all around the base of the egg. Turns out all of the juice was running out of the draft door. Drip pan now inserted.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Good reminder, especially if you don't cook butts that often.  I use a drip pan raised (use the BGE feet or balled up foil as spacers) off the platesetter to reduce the burning of the juices during the cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GADuckaholic
    Options
    Drip pan lined in HD foil...then, who cares if it burns. Pull out the foil and toss it.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Butt's let out a tremendous amount of juice. Especially if you used injections in the butts. Ribs, you can get away with foil (depending on how many).
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I should have known better. Especially since I injected them.
    Mark Annville, PA