Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs Grill Dome

Options
Gilabert
Gilabert Posts: 19
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hey guys, I recently
purchased a large BGE and I am loving it. I am obsessed with it. I use it
almost every day. I noticed a family friend owned a "Grill Dome" and
he was raving how good it was, probably better compared to the BGE. He even
directed me to some you tube videos of some guy cooking in both and comparing
the two. The youtube videos and the family friend seem to be convinced the
grill dome is better than the big green egg. If it is (which I doubt) I still
love my BGE and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Any thoughts? Has anyone used the grill dome or any other competing brand and how do they stack up against the BGE?

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I looked into a Grill Dome, until I found out about the annoying procedure you have to go through to shut it down, and complaints of the internal parts cracking even if such procedure was followed.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They have all the same benefits. BGE has had a better warranty in the past. The people that make videos extolling the virtues generally have something to gain by that. Primo was the first competitor and they have a proven record but they are the same price as BGE

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    My local BGE dealer has become a Primo dealer.  In some ways, the Primo stuff looks better (heavier duty), but I think it's actually more expensive than BGE.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    agree with him that the gd is better, just to shut him up. no sense arguing about it.....then sometime later, remind him you must be a better cook, cause your getting as good or better product than him off your inferior bge..........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My two choices were primo and BGE. I went with BGE for warranty and availability of accessories. Although I do think the primo oval XL is a rock solid product.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • paphman
    paphman Posts: 23
    Options
    I've owned both. BGE wins hands down. Better product all around!
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    I own and use all three. I like them all!
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    Options
    I own a large Grill Dome and an XL BGE. The BGE has a much more durable finish. My GD had the paint peel off of it. It really chapped my fanny. I did find that a large was a little smaller than I wanted, so when I went looking for a larger grill, I did not even give GD a second chance, as their customer service is not what the GD forums brag it to be. So I bought a BGE, and love it. The temp control on the BGE is much easier. My GD liked to wonder a bit. The fit and finish on the GD's isn't as good as the BGE, when you truely look closely. The BGE is like Ronco. Set it and forget it. However they both cook equally good food. Neither one is noticeably better than the other as far as cooking is concerned. One more thing then GD ceramics are not twice as thick as some of the YouTube videos suggest, the thicker part is only in the band/hinge area. So don't worry abbot a GD being better, as it is not, it's just a little different. Wait until your friend has something crack and then ask him what the shipping cost is to get the new part to his/her house. I will say that it is good to see competition for BGE, as it forces manufacturers to make better products and we....the consumers win.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    We eggheads have a much cooler name :D
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    agree with him that the gd is better, just to shut him up. no sense arguing about it.....then sometime later, remind him you must be a better cook, cause your getting as good or better product than him off your inferior bge..........

t

=D> =D> =D>
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Im sure there are many domers creeping around on here looking for the good stuff :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

i wanted a local dealer or at least a large dealer network so I went with the EGG. i like to touch and feel something before i buy it.

I am in sales. and Demo equipment all the time. people like to buy from people.

People buy fro three reasons.  to fix something, to accomplish  something, or to avoid something.

The Egg fills all of those issues depending on you.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Smoked one out! :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    When I decided to purchase a ceramic cooker, I looked into the Grilldome and was almost sold.  I didn't have a local dealer for the egg, so shipping (GD) or traveling (Egg) applied.  What I found was, although the Grilldome seemed to be priced better than the egg, it came stripped down, no thermometer or daisy wheel.  Once I added in the cost of those items, plus shipping it was actually more expensive.  I will say that I did like that there were a few color choices, but after spending some time on the Grilldome forum and interacting with the owner my decision was made.  I read about how wonderful the CS was, but my experience was much different.  I called a few times and left messages.  Once a few days after my third message went by, I posted a message on the forum.  I found that the gentleman I was trying to contact was in India looking at new ceramics.  That's fine, but you would think that the info would be left on the answering machine/service or posted on the forum?   Anyway, once he got back in the states and saw the message on the forum, I guess he was upset and told me how things were.  Not a good way to do business in my book.  That was the situation that swayed me further towards the egg, the other two main reasons were the longevity of the business and the product (in comparison) and the issues that they have with the finishes.  I agree with the above though, any of these cookers will produce excellent results. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Every used grill dome I have ever seen on craigslist looks like its falling apart after a couple years.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

Are you talking about the BBQGuys YouTube videos?  Those are a joke in my opinion.  You can't cook two chickens on two different grills for exactly the same amount of time (without checking meat temps) and expect the same result.  Common sense.    [-(

• Gilabert
    Gilabert Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks guys, some really  good insight. I am of course partial to the BGE, and I trust their warranty and from the research that I have done, not as many problems with customer service, warranty, defectiveness over time etc. The GD, as well as primo grills, seem to be good as long as you know how to use them (cook steaks medium, medium rare not by accident but by choice, and be able to control the temperature). Again,  personally, from the research I've done and from your comments I think the BGE is better and will last a heck of a lot longer. I just  love the egg!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The KJ is more than the egg in Georgia.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    KJ and eggs are about the same price here in PA.
    Mark Annville, PA