Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Rub...Mustard First?

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking only a brisket point tomorrow in hopes of making some good burnt ends.  This will be my first time making brisket in any form, but I've done a few butts now with some good success.  Do I need to put a layer of mustard on the brisket like I normally do with the pork?  

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    You will get multiple answers and all will be good.  I use the method that comes from texasbbqrub.com and that is make a paste of the rub with Worcestershire sauce and your rub.

I lather the brisket with the sauce then add the rub until it gets covered with a sticky paste.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Search this forum for a post about this started by Cen Tex, he did a brisket with half mustard and rub vs half just rub. I think he found not much difference.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    The only advantage i have found with mustard is I do not have to wait as long for the rub to soak in before i flip to rub the otherside.  Without mustard, i typically have to wait much longer to for the rub to soak on the brisket so when i flip it doesn't fall off.

Pentwater, MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You don't need to but it does not hurt. I did a bracket half with and half without and there was me discernable difference. But suit yourself if you want to (same for a butt by the way, not needed)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    No pics so the following didn't happen...but if it did, not brisket but I did 4 racks of ribs, two with mustard and two with EVOO and the blind taste test (not me in the mix) was that the mustard ribs tasted better-nothing else different (control one variable to the extent the pig and BGE allow). FWIW-I recall the Cen-Tex experiment and I seems to recall, like above that he saw no difference-maybe because a larger hunk of meat...could be close to Voodoo...if you like the mustard base, go for it-that's the beauty of the Q-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yep. I did half mustard and half with nothing as a binder at all. You don't NEED a binder to get rub to stick to brisket or butts. If you want to use one, go for it. I don't use any and my bark is thick and crusty.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I use Wesson Oil on ribs, mustard of butts, and Worcestershire on briskets.

Absolutely no rhyme or reason, just the way I do it.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I use mustard, I've always felt I get more tender meat when I use it, supposedly because of the vinegar in it....don't know for sure but I like the way the rub binds to it and I get better bark in my opinion.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I use oil on all rubs with the rationale being that many of the spice molecules are oil soluble.  (I read that on one of the BBQ 'expert' sites - don't know if it's true, but it made some sense.)  Mustard or not?  Your choice.  I haven't noticed any difference, so I just stick to canola oil and my rub.  If I had unlimited time and appetite for BBQ I might try some more controlled experiments.

My theory on controversies like this where there is no clear answer - it doesn't matter much, if at all.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have noticed softer crust with oil because it does not allow the bark to dry. That's the whole point of mustard. It's water based and evaps, leaving dry crusty bark. I don't use that either because it's not needed. I'm sure all these are fine and have their own bennies. I just go dry.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are correct that many of them are oil soluble which is another cause for soft bark. It turns it into a slurry and breaks all the big pieces down to liquid.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Course pieces would me more accurate than. It but you get
    MY drift.