Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs TRADITIONAL SMOKER

gdawgs24
gdawgs24 Posts: 21
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

We are having a big cookout on saturday for our subdivision. We are expecting close to 100 people. So needless to say we have alot of cooking to do. We are smart enough to start cooking friday night. On the menu is 12 racks of baby backs, 4 butts, 4 briskets and 2 chickens. Needless to say i cant fit this on my XL BGE. We are using a traditional smoker. I am still kind of new to the egg but i figured i would cook atleast on butt on the egg to kind of compare. This will be my first low and slow on a butt i have cooked ribs before and they were delicious. I am going to inject the butt with a canjun butter marinate then i am going to rubb it down with mustard and a smoked applewood rub. Need a little help though.

Do i use legs up or down on plate setter?

And should i put apple juice or apple cider in drip pan or does it even matter?

Comments

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Legs up with grate on top of them, put the drip pan between the two. I've never put anything in the drip pan the egg just doesn't seem to need the extra moisture.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Legs up with grate on top of them, put the drip pan between the two. I've never put anything in the drip pan the egg just doesn't seem to need the extra moisture.
    x2
    Pentwater, MI
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Chicken lovers better get there at daylight on Saturday :D
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I would do as much as possible with the egg and use the smoker for back up.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219

Smoke with the legs up. Try using peach wood for the butts, and ribs. That is what we use during our competitions. Put the butts bone side down, fat cap towards the center. before you pull the butts remove what is known as the money mucsle, (opposite the bone) slice this up, it is the most tender part of the butt.

try it hope you like it.

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    I add water, garlic, onions, and some rub to the drip pan. I don't think it hurts, but I want to reduce the fat burning when it hits the drip pan. I read somewhere on here that the drippings burning on the plate setter will give off an acrid smoke and impact the flavor. I've never tried without it so I can't compare the results. But I do know my plate setter stays fairly clean if nothing else! :)
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Seems like a ton of food to smoke over one night and part of the day into Saturday. Good luck, but I would smoke/cook as much as you can on the egg. Have to do more then one butt...