Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crusty Sourdough

Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Love egg bread...I did 2 mini boules with a basic sourdough dough I fermented 3 days.
Starter, water, bread flour, salt. On a 500* egg for about 30 minutes. I'm a little disappointed in the crumb...not as holey as I usually get. I think I didn't generate enough steam so the crust set too soon.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Nice crust there tweev.

Yeah, that crackling sound they make when they come out is my favorite cooking sound.
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Wow.  I just recently have been trying home made bread in the oven from the artisan bread cook book, and have gotten good results, but not great.    

I'd love to hear how to set it up to do on the egg!  
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Coincidental.  I just made the first loaves of bread yesterday that I've made in 2 years.  I made Amish White Bread.  A bit "heavy" but tasty.  

You have inspired me.  I might try some Ciabatta soon.  
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mighty_Quinn
    I use stone down in spider for indirect and stone on top of adjustable rig to bake on. For steam, I have a small pan of water up there too... Get everything stabilized at 500* and hold for at least a half hour, I usually go around an hour (I preheat while the loaves are going though their final proof, after shaping and that is usually an hour so it's convenient). Here is a pic of the setup from a couple larger loaves I did a couple months ago.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Here is the crumb of the last pics.....

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Wow that looks awesome.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK, just got home, and this is making me want some good bread.
    Nice jobs gents

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Love egg bread...I did 2 mini boules with a basic sourdough dough I fermented 3 days. Starter, water, bread flour, salt. On a 500* egg for about 30 minutes. I'm a little disappointed in the crumb...not as holey as I usually get. I think I didn't generate enough steam so the crust set too soon. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Nice looking breads MQ. Mind posting your starter method?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mighty_Quinn
    I have gotten a couple requests to share my recipe so here you go....enjoy! The recipe is my adaptation of one I learned at an artisan bread class I took years ago. I'll also add that I'm at 6000' elevation so quantities could change based on where you are baking.

250 g starter (I keep one going in my fridge and feed it weekly when I use some)
    375 g bread flour
    215 g water
    10 g kosher salt

Mix starter, flour, water with paddle in kitchenaide until ingredients are incorporated. Let sit 25 minutes to autolyse, add salt and knead with hook for 8ish. Transfer dough to oiled container, cover and into fridge overnight, up to 5 days. Baking day, remove dough from fridge and let come to room temp for a few hours...divide and shape in to loaves, boules, whatever....let them proof while oven/egg preheats, bake with steam for 30ish minutes until internal is 195-200*

• Mighty_Quinn
    LS---I was given a cup of starter from a bakery a few years ago....I grew that into about 1/2 gallon(a couple times a year I make a lot of loaves so l like having that much around), by feeding it flour and water (1:1 ratio) every few days. To maintain that amount, I feed it about 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of water each week...usually I use about 2 cups of it a week...if I'm not baking, I have to feed it and pour out a couple cups. Not sure if this is what you meant or not...I haven't made my own starter if that's what you were asking...
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Fantastic.  I seriously would like to do bread, but alas it is on the forbidden list.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Looks great.. what is "starter" ? I have made pizza dough, but never breads. Thanks!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

MQ,

Yes, we just found out that my daughter has IBS and sourdough is reccomended for the diet. I've read that you use pineapple juice in the starter to promote the bacteria growth. I have a recipe but was wondering what you used.

Thanks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mighty_Quinn
    Looks great.. what is "starter" ? I have made pizza dough, but never breads. Thanks!

The starter is a live culture of yeast living in a flour/water slurry basically. It lives and ferments...contributes to the sour flavor of sourdough and is the supply of healthy yeast I use for many of my breads and pizza dough...I rarely use commercial yeast.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    LS- I've only ever heard of feeding the starter with flour and water, so I can't comment on the pineapple juice aspect. If you're looking to make a starter, this is the method I would try...

http://williamalexander.com/bread/levain.cfm
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Wow that is really nice!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    This is the sourdough starter I used.  It has an  interesting history and they will send it to you for free (I included a few bucks with my request to help them with their distribution).

http://www.carlsfriends.net/

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    edited May 2012
    Thanks shiff! Great story!
    Good looking bread MQ
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    I need to try this!
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!