Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time replacing a gasket need help!

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Ok, so as some of you know, I fried my stock gasket a week ago with a pizza cook. I have already pre shrunk one of the 2 new nomex gaskets that BGE sent me, I have super 77, a putty knive, acetone and a scrub brush. I have a few questions:

1.) Is the best way to remove the lid with the dome open and if so, I just release the tension bolts and pull it off right?

2.) How do I know when I have tightened the tension bolts properly? I am scared to break the ceramic. I have a torque wrench, but its lowest setting is 20lbs.

3.) Any tips? Let me know asap as I am now grabbing a beer and heading out to the deck!

Wish me luck and please give advice if you have it. (My EGG is an XL ftw)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Search gasket replacement here-all the above answered on a few recent posts.  Or google BGE gasket replacement and you will find lots of information.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    Ive done all that, just wondered if there was more..

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    I guess just remove these springs and then the 4 bolts holding the lid on...clean, let new glue sit to get tacky, stick new one on keeping in mind not to let it hang over the edges, let sit for 24hours.

• Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    i wonder if i fib and tell them mine is fried they will give me the new ones.. i wont wanna wait for them in the mail when i do finally fry it
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    from what I understand you can tighten the bolts all the way until they begin to bend. As far as removing the lid, get a helper and do it with the hinge closed, have someone hold it shut while you lift off the lid. Its heavy so have something sturdy and padded to sit it down on. Take the whole thing apart, all the guts, everything. put a couple towels over the base of the egg and invert the top into the bottom. Gives you a good work surface. I used acetone and a scraper. But it didn't come clean enough( i went gasket less for a while so I had some good buildup.) gave up the scraper and acetone and switched over to 40 and 60 grit sand paper on a DA. Got me down to nice white bare ceramic. I don't know if they send the gaskets in 2 separate bags for the XL, my large came in one long continuous coil. I spilt it in half and had about 6-8 inches to spare off each end. If you've got 2, might as well use 2 instead of having to patch together pieces. Use something SHARP to cut the gasket, that stuff is hard to get a nice clean cut.
  • michigan_jason
    ty xray im going at it now, only alone. and with the lid open and springs removed.

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    springs removed you should be fine...careful with that xl lid, I know the large was pretty heavy.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    i wonder if i fib and tell them mine is fried they will give me the new ones.. i wont wanna wait for them in the mail when i do finally fry it
    They will make you send pictures of your fried gasket, along with some other info like where and when you purchased your egg.
  • michigan_jason
    edited May 2012
    They will make you send pictures of your fried gasket, along with some other info like where and when you purchased your egg.

I got my egg a month ago, and got 2 nomex sent to me already. An email, and a call. A guy named Duane asked a few questions, but never my name or where i bought from. Bruce answered my email and only said he was sending a replacement, never asked when i got the egg. I have the email if you guys want to see it.

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Duane Davis duane.davis@biggreenegg.com
    May 17 (8 days ago)
    to me
    Hi Adam,

Please send me a photo of the gasket, your address used to register the warranty, and tell me where and when the grill was purchased.

Thanks,

Duane
  • michigan_jason
    apparently it is on a case by case basis. he never asked me for photos. or where i purchased.

• Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    I got the same email from Duane...sent him pics and he replied about a half hour later apologizing for inconvenience and saying new gasket is on way. Great customer service!
  • michigan_jason
    edited May 2012

Yea, see I spoke to Duane and got this email from bruce. Duane sent me one, without asking me for pics, but he did try to insinuate that I didn't know what I as doing, and I set him straight on that really quick. Afterword, he gave me pointers, talked to me about cool things the egg can do and how he does them at home, and sent me a new gasket. So I got 2 of them 2 days later in the mail.

Here is the email I sent:

Please advise as to what type of gasket you will be replacing for my XL BGE. I know what I am doing, and wonder why BGE puts these garbage gaskets on a $1200 grill. Makes no sense to me or any of the other eggsperienced cookers that use this grill. I will accept a Nomex gasket only.

--

Thank you,

Jason Bernal

Laptops Unlimited MI

Here is the response copied directly from my email:

Hello Jason,

I am sorry that you have had this trouble with your gasket. I will be sending you out a high heat (Nomex) gasket. Once installed you should have no further problems. Please email me your address and I will send it out today.

Once again I apologize for the trouble and frustration.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce Bohannon

Customer Relations

770.938.9394 .108 

800.793.2292 .108

770.938.9149   fax

3417 Lawrenceville Highway

Atlanta, GA  30084  USA

B.Bohannon@BigGreenEgg.com

facebook.com/biggreenegg

www.BigGreenEgg.com

The Ultimate Cooking Experience™

• michigan_jason
    Ok, so last question. I replaced the gasket yesterday almost 22 hours ago. I want to have family over tonight for a "everyone makes their own personal pizza night," is it ok to fire this bad boy back to 700 degrees already? Should I burn the excess glue off first?

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I did some lower temp cooks first when I replaced mine.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • How long did it take for BGE to respond to you?  I sent them an email a couple days ago about my fried gasket with no response yet.  Maybe  I should email again?
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I just recently removed my dome in what was probably a misguided attempt to correct an underbite between the top/bottom.  I've got a LBGE, and just loosened the bolt for the top band with the egg closed, and when loose enough, just lifted the dome away.  The springs weren't an issue, and didn't try flipping the top ring up, even after the dome was removed.

Since I hadn't done this for a while (since replacing my gasket a couple years ago) and neglected to do the dollar bill test before screwing with it, I don't know if I messed up my top/bottom seal...and though I corrected the underbite, now it appears to be just a bit off center side to side.  When I do the bill test now, there are areas (like the front, where the egg doesn't want to let it move at all, and other areas on the sides or back where the bill slides pretty freely.  i.e. I can feel/hear some resistance...but slide it easily.  I guess I'll know next cook when smoke comes out between the top and bottom or doesn't.
  • michigan_jason
    I am at 600 degrees now, 24 hours after intstalling the new nomex, and I smell glue/gasket burning. I have people over for pizza and do not know what to do. HELP

• michigan_jason
    edited May 2012

Should I just wait till the smell goes away before putting pizzas on? Apparently I didnt wait enough for the gasket/glue to cure, because part of my nomex is coming off already.... I am so pissed right now and I have people over.

• gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Go gasketless! I have been for several months now with no problems.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Yea im basically gasket-less now and grilling fine. My gasket was done so purchased replacement, then read numerous posts here that said . . No gasket, No problem. I'll probably replace it someday for the added protection ( drop the lid from flare, etc ) but im no hurry to coat my egg with nasty chemicals from the glue, etc.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    :-c I have had my egg for a month now and my gasket lasted maybe 2 weeks, I went to the local fire place and wood stove retailer and picked up this woven wool, the guy there uses it on his BGE and said his still looks the same after 9 years,
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    :-c I have had my egg for a month now and my gasket lasted maybe 2 weeks, I went to the local fire place and wood stove retailer and picked up this woven wool, the guy there uses it on his BGE and said his still looks the same after 9 years,
    Any additional info-brand name, application method, any pre/post application requirements/limitations...sounds like it could be another in the mix and very effective. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason

My nomex burned right off last night. I only let it cure for 24 hours and the first cook was a pizza cook. Im ready to just go without.

• ducksbuddy

• michigan_jason
    that looks like a rutland

• ducksbuddy
    You can holsd a blow torch to my stuff and it doesnt even phase it, also fire coes out no co2 in minutes ultra super seal!
  • michigan_jason
    Looks like a rutland

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    rutland top and bottom?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • michigan_jason
    My nomex came right off! I think I'm going to go gasket less.