Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin in the rain, just eggin' in the rain (any potential problems?)

lemonade
lemonade Posts: 93
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum

I have tomorrow off and I'm eggin regardless.  However the forecast is for rain, all day.  My egg is eggsposed.

1)  Any issues if the daisy wheel is open half way? 

2) Will cook times be off if the outer surface is water cooled all afternoon?

3) I have the temp probe cable run through where the temp gauge usually is, should I seal that?  If so, with what?  Silicone?

4) Opening the lid to spritz meat  (and oogle and drool in anticipation)  any problem with rain hitting a hot plate setter?

5) Anything I have not though of that could be a problem.   (I already have plans to cover my digiQ)

Thanks again  _Lemonade Nate

Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    No problems. I cook rain or shine.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    1. Not really
    2. Not really
    3. No, just run the probe where the gasket is.  Leave temp probe where it s.
    4. No.
    5. No.
    All good to me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    I have never had a problem even in a decent rain.
  • lemonade
    I used a touch of shoo goo to seal the probe in the temp gauge hole.  I like dome temp vs the idea of a loose probe flopping around at grid level.  (we'll see how shoo goo holds at temp).  Very clean look though. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Egging in the rain....you get wet, egg cooks fine
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Just put your temp device in a zip-top bag.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I bought a 6" vent cap from Lowes that fits perfectly over the DW.  It is like a little umbrella that prevents rain coming in through the top.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I would make sure to have extra alcohol on hand :)
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I'm gonna get me one of those 6 inch vent caps.  In the meantime I take a square of aluminum foil, tuck opposite corners under daisey and you have an umbrella. Works fine even in a down pour. Got that tip off this forum.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    yep, one of those 6 inch shanty caps works wonders! and don't open the lid to spritz! such a waste of time and can produce bad flavors.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I put up a 9 foot patio umbrella next to my XL - to keep me dry - not for the egg.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I have one of those 12x12 EZUP tents that you can pick up for $125 just about anywhere. Put the egg dead center and there are no worries. I have done it in a heavy rain with smoke and high heat. The tent is high enough not to get damaged. It will get a little smoky, and if it gets bad, just move the egg a little. (or the tent if the egg is stationary)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I used a touch of shoo goo to seal the probe in the temp gauge hole.  I like dome temp vs the idea of a loose probe flopping around at grid level.  (we'll see how shoo goo holds at temp).  Very clean look though. 
    Stick your probe through half a potato and it won't flop around and won't be touching the metal of the grate. I used to have some kind of clip that came with my Maverick for this, but it got lost somewhere.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    go to radio  shack and get the alligator clips for a $1. they work great for clipping your probe to the grate. Not a fan of glueing stuff thru things where stock things belong. 
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    So I ran the probe through one of the vents in the daisy wheel...is that wrong?  I just purchased my Large Egg last Saturday and we haven't cooked one meal inside yet Loving it so far!!
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Biggest problem for me was that I was getting snow down the back of my shirt so I came up with an all-in-one solution.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • lemonade
    That works. 

Here is what I did with the probe.   (and used aforementioned alligator clip to hold the cable out of the way. mail.jpg
  • lemonade
    super clean.  I like the 6" vent cover idea...and the more alcohol idea too!  This forum is smokin!
  • DenaSmoker
    Yeah, that is wrong because now you can't control your vents correctly and your wire has a ton of heat passing by it and it may burn the wire. :(|)

Just run it between the gasket where you close the egg.

I hear ya...I am still able to control the daisy wheel vents, I just can't close the vents all of the way (would I ever need to close the vents all of the way).  I didn't really think about melting the wire, it does have a metal sheathing around the wire.  I've used it for about 5 years now it seems to work.  

And here I was thinking that closing it on the wire would affect the seal...the things you learn here!
  • lemonade
    Just put your temp device in a zip-top bag.
    I put a zip loc over a coat hanger frame to cover the digiQ unit, and a tin foil flap over the pit viper blower.  (Once I figure out the final placement and mount everything, I'll do it different.  I thought I saw on this forum someone took a tupperware food container and screwed it vertically to the deck rail, and mounted the digiQ to the bottom  (now back) of the plastic container and made grooves or holes for the cables.  .  When done, snap the lid on and walk away.  
  • DenaSmoker
    Tweev_tip

I've only had the egg for a week so I have a lot to learn.  It seemed to work just fine through the DW, but I will give the other way a try (closing the lid on the wire) since that seems to be how the majority here do it.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Well, now there's rain and then there's rain. If you're talking about the mist that they occasionally get and call rain in L.A. that should be no problem. If you're talking about the spring showers that blow through the midwest this time of year that should be no problem. But if you're talking about real golldarn rain, like the TEN INCHES we got here in Miami yesterday, THAT could be a problem!
  • lemonade
    Dang.  Time to put your egg on an arc.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I have a couple of 7" stainless chimney caps from a fireplace store. They fit over the daisy and snug on the bottom. You can still adjust the daisy. I only use them in torrential downpours.

Steve 

Caledon, ON