Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stack or Dump lump?

Options
2»

Comments

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I have always been a fan of placement. Even on the Weber as I cooked indirect 90% of the time. A little messy but well worth it.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    someone have a pic of an ideal stack :\">

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't stack neatly either. I only stack to control the size of the pieces that go in.
    This is what mine looks like. Certainly not saying it's perfect, but I sleep good at night. I know there are huge chunks in there, but I prefer sleep over nitpicking over airflow issues

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    how's this: 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have never had an airflow issue with the XL.  However, since I found a big piece of rubber in my RO, I dump the bag out onto newspaper and sort through it to ensure only charcoal is going into my egg.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I found a piece of a steel band in my BGE lump bag on my first light.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Centex, please tell me that stack is a small or mini. Those chunks of lump look like logs!

On a side note, I spent a couple of years at Robert Gray AAF on south Ft Hood. (94-96)
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nope. That is my large and Best of The West lump right out of the bag. every bag is full of those pieces.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Dump and light...never had an issue for low and slow's - but I follow all the normal egg-rules for lighting a good fire.  Clean ashes - filled to proper level - good quality lump...etc
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    dumper as well
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I try to keep some huge pieces of wood aside for stacking on the bottom....it allows good air flow even when you drop smaller pieces on top.  After I stack a good layer of large pieces in the bottom of the firebox I dump the rest on top to fill the box up.

I've found that if I over stuff my firebox (I load it right up to the fire ring) for a good low n' slow smoke...the extra lump limits the airflow and keeps the temps lower......for high temp burns I stack far less lump to allow more airflow.   If I just fill the firebox it's hard to keep the temps in the 210-225 range I like to smoke at, a lot of guys say it's a waste to go less than 250-300 but it's how I like to do it so that's what I do.  
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    I like the BBQ Guru Turbo Grate. With a Turbo Grate, meticulous stacking is not necessary.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like the BBQ Guru Turbo Grate. With a Turbo Grate, meticulous stacking is not necessary.
    It's not necessary with any grate but until peeps are up to speed, it helps. I'm a fan of the hi q, just sayin you can do everything you want on an egg with stock equip.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I have never had an airflow issue with the XL.  However, since I found a big piece of rubber in my RO, I dump the bag out onto newspaper and sort through it to ensure only charcoal is going into my egg.
    This is why I don't dump. I can't even imagine what rubber would do to some good meats.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I clean out the ash and small chips, and pick out big new pieces from the bag to place on the bottom.  Then i dump on top of the big pieces.  I get a hot fire (pizza hot) pretty quickly with this method.