Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My new redwood EGG table

trip150trip150 Posts: 28
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum
My first woodworking project is finally finished.  It was actually done 2 months ago and has been under constant use since i finished it.  I have to give big kudo's to Driving Hampster who sent me his table files in Google Sketchup - i duplicated his table design with small adjustments to fit my needs.   

I built it using redwood, 2x6's for much of the framing, 4x4 for the legs, and 2x4s ripped down and glued for the top, all assembled with kreg pocket screws and lots of glue.  Finished it off with Pennsylvania bluestone under the egg, as well as a bathroom grab bar and of course the bottle opener.  Heavy duty casters from amazon.  I used some left over scrap tile as a trivet.  Still need to install the tool hooks - haven't found anything i like so far.  Would like to have a way to hang the grate when i remove it from the grill, haven't figured that out yet.  

It was alot of fun to build, took me a couple weekends to finish it.  Key suggestion i have for others is to plan to do a lot of sanding, then when you think you are done, sand some more.  Also, attaching your shopvac to the random orbit sander is key.  Did i mention measure 3 times and try to only cut once?  I finished it with General Finishes Exterior 450 from Woodcraft, which soaks into the wood a lot better than a spar and doesn't peel off over time, really easy to work with and I highly recommend it.  I should have put more coats on it, but i will save that work for later.  Found a great cover at amazon that fits it perfectly for only $30 (Classic Accessories 73952 Veranda Cart-Style Barbecue Cover XXL).  

We have done a lot of smoking since i set it up on the deck, which is why this post is so delayed.  Low and slow is made easier with an auber instruments PID controller and fan (which i highly recommend).  We have done several long overnight smokes so far making pulled pork, which has worked out great.  Several high temp cooks have also been done and i have not had any problems at all with heat and the stone.  

Suggestions i have for those looking to build their table include - 1) when cutting the hole for the egg, use a router and not a jigsaw, 2) glue selection is key - i used tightbond III but wish i would have used other epoxies for edge work so the glue didn't show thru, 3) pocket screws are key, i would have never been able to build this without them, and 4) take your time and finish your project with all 10 fingers intact! (i did, but had several close calls).  

Thanks again to Brian for his plans.  

Comments