Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket completed

Options
mamacooks
mamacooks Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in Beef

Think I'm a bit of the odd one out here - my hubby bought ME the LBGE for Mother's Day 2 weeks ago!  So far, he hasn't shown much interest in what I've been doing (except for the eating of course!), but I've a feeling that will change come fall & hunting season. Just wanted to say thank you for all the great info I've found reading through the forums. First meal of the first day was chicken breasts (couldn't wait to get started), then steaks (wow, so very good), pizzas, and this past weekend did an 8.5# flat brisket - seasoned with Nick's Blackened Seasoning (meat & seasoning from the local meat market here in southern Maryland - (paprika, salt, garlic, pepper, cayenne & thyme - no fillers), then let it set overnight. Started the fire with some soaked JackDaniel wood chips, added placesetter legs up, and a foil pan with some water beneath the brisket. I have to admit that I was past worried about being to maintain a steady temperature for hours, but it was amazingly easy.  Heated slowly up to 275, put the meat directly on the grill, closed the dome and told the family to keep their paws off...grin! Temp dropped a bit, but easily stayed at just about 240-250 the entire day (9.5 hours). Tweaked the door open by just a bit when temp dropped to about 225, came up and held steady to the end. Pulled the brisket off at 195, wrapped in foil & towels and set it in the cooler for about an hour.  I have to say - it was way too much meat for a family of 4 - but no way was I inviting anyone over in case it turned into shoe leather!  Happy to say that the meat was literally fall-apart tender, juicy and delicious!  Even my picky 13 year-old enjoyed it!  The left-overs are in the freezer waiting for Memorial Day to be served along side my first spatchcock chicken!  Thanks again to the members here who have shared so much of their knowledge.  I think this is going to be a great ride.  I'm looking forward to next spring & hoping to make it to the local EGGfest!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That is awesome. Great story and glad your brisket turned out. Can't wait to see more posts. BTW...we love pictures here.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on jumping right in and hitting a home-run with the brisket.  Sounds like you have accelerated well along the learning curve-of course, the journey never ends.  Once your hubby see's the light you could quickly become a 2 BGE family-not a bad way to get there:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Welcome to the club...

Think I'm a bit of the odd one out here - my hubby bought ME the LBGE for Mother's Day 2 weeks ago!  

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS!!!!! PURE GENIUS!!!!! Of course it won't work for me now, but....

Now, get him a different sized one for Father's day!  :)

That is a great feeling making a good brisket after hearing some real nightmares.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    Options
    8.5# flat brisket - seasoned with Nick's Blackened Seasoning (meat & seasoning from the local meat market here in southern Maryland - (paprika, salt, garlic, pepper, cayenne & thyme - no fillers), then let it set overnight.

Where in southern MD did you get your meat and rub from?  We live in Leonardtown, and I haven't found a good local source for meat.  We typically buy meat from the commissary and Sam's in Waldorf.  

I am also one of the odd ones out here too.  We bought the BGE about two months ago, and although we didn't buy it specifically for me, I am the only one doing the cooking on it so far.  I did most of the grilling when we had our gasser and since I stay at home with the kids right now it is a lot easier for me to do the cooking.  

I am getting ready to do my first brisket this weekend.  I hope it turns out good like yours did.  
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Options

Eggcelent story, I haven't tried brisket yet but I will soon.   As for leftovers, if you have a foodsaver or other vac sealing device, you could vac the leftovers and put in the fridge so you don't have to put it in the freezer and worry about it having to thaw.  Reheats very well.

Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh hell yes. Mama cooks indeed. Well played.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mamacooks
    mamacooks Posts: 9
    Options

Pacuare -Try NICK's - 3 shops I know of 'locally' - Clinton, Waldorf & Prince Frederick.  EGGcellent cuts of meat and fish as well, and they'll trim/slice/cut to your request.  Was there this evening to pick up some pork chops for dinner, and a 10# bags of boneless, skinless chicken breasts - which I cook all at once, then freeze for meals as needed.  The place was hopping - kinda' like Giant right before a snowstorm (sorry guys, local joke...grin).  Several nice sized briskets, but I had my eye on this big, beautiful pork butt....sigh...wanted it badly but have my weekend planned and can't squeeze in anything else.

Lemonade - if I hadn't frozen it, there wouldn't be any left for Memorial Day get-together!

All - I first saw the BGE at a local dealer about 2 years ago, looked & looked - talked w/a very helpful gentleman for the better part of an hour, but as he talked about the 'learning curve' I felt a bit discouraged about getting it. Working full-time, 2 pre-teens who kept me running all the time,I just didn't feel like I could justify the cost of a new kitchen appliance for something I would use...how often??  Came home, told the family about this great grill/smoker/oven I'd seen, and then forgot about it....sorta.  Earlier this spring, I saw some info about the local  Eggfest in Waldorf - Cinco de Eggo, and mentioned to the family that I was sorry we were going to be out of town, because it would have been a fun place to spend a day. Chance remark at the right time I guess, because the EGG is now mine....grin...

Enjoyed another dinner off the EGG tonight - chops and threw some veggies in a foil pouch to cook alongside the meat.  Am loving this thing!

Tazcrash - am definitely going to keep your idea in mind!  maybe not this Father's Day, but if he starts messing with mine...well, he may definitely need his own...grin!