Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Cap - Lined With Gasket

Options
Stoater
Stoater Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever lined their ceramic cap with a gasket, I just wondered because when I snuffed the fire out last night its seems like there is a bit of play, in other words it doesn't fit snugly, so it seems like there is room for air to flow in through the top, maybe the egg would cool down quicker when shutting her off for the night.

Comments

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    The Egg vendor by me sells eggs already outfitted that way.  Seems to work pretty well, although i've never had problem with the stock setup, as long as the bottom vent is closed the little bit of leakage from the play in the cap is not enough to get an appreciable amount of oxygen down to the coals.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    yes, people have done this.  Some have also lined their Daisy Wheel w/ gasket material as well.

I can see 2 possible benefits: 
    1. keeps air from escaping, thus making cap more efficient during shut down
    2. provides more "friction" of Daisy Wheel-to-dome interface, thus minimizing possibility of Daisy Wheel falling off when dome is lifted.  

HTH,

Rob

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • eddiepro
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    Options
    On that same idea, @ what temp is it safe to put my cover on my XL as it cools down?

Thanks in advance!
  • k1200ltc
    k1200ltc Posts: 18
    Options
    I had just enough material left over from my Rutland Gasket kit got the large egg. Just seemed like the right thing to do with the leftover.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I had some left over from my nomex kit and did both the dfmt and the cap, mine came with felt on the dome but that had compressed and let smoke out under the dfmt. Just seemed like the right thing to do with the left over stuff as well