Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

30 lbs of butt

jjmillsjjmills Posts: 75
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a large crowd of people coming over to my house in two weeks for "Cheese Fest".  I would like to do 30 lbs of pork shoulder on a large egg.  Is this possible or will this not fit?  thanks in advance.  By the way there will be a 1/2 barrel of Sierra Nevada to wash the pork down, yipee
·

Comments

• Depends on your setup. But yes.

·
  • jjmillsjjmills Posts: 75
    My setup is the basic plate setter with grate and usually a few empty glass bottles 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,468
    Assuming (hate that word) you are talking about 3 10# butts-all you need is a second level above the indirect set-up for the third butt. Could just be another grate. Absent that it can ride on the lower two but you will lack bark where they are touching. Easily doable-reminder-they will each cook at their own pace so if you can, monitor them all-especially as you get close to the guesstimated finish-line. 
    Louisville
    ·
    yes it will be three 8-10 pounds.  I do have three thermometers.  how could a guy elevate another grate with out using the two other butts as rests
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    (fire)Bricks, wadded up foil, nuts/bolts/washers...
    ·
  • I've seen a guy on here do 3 on one grate (he had 6 total on a 2-level rig cook)

Can't search, on my phone.

·
  • fonemanfoneman Posts: 104
    Here are 33lbs (4-8+ lb butts) with a homemade adjustable setup. An extra grate and some long bolts or firebricks would do the same thing.

·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Yes its possible. I have done 116 pounds before on two larges and a med. I used the adjustable rig and spider with two levels. Each large had 7 butts and the medium had two. Best I can guess, I had roughly 50 pounds per large egg. Thirty should be pretty easy. I have cooked butts on there side before and believe I hade three on my top grid that way. Go set your egg up different ways and go through a dry run. You can actually put the butts on there still in the cryovac if you want to see if they will fit.
    ·
    I like what I see.  I think I need another grate
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,468

yes it will be three 8-10 pounds.  I do have three thermometers.  how could a guy elevate another grate with out using the two other butts as rests

Get a couple of fire bricks (or empty beer cans) and a smaller diameter grate to elevate.  If you have time-people use U-bolts, washers and nuts to make a very functional raised grid set-up.  Try the search function for raised grid-the only trick is to make sure your grid diameter will clear when you close the dome. 

Louisville
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,377
    This is 30 pounds on an XL and it barely fit.  I have never seen a discussion about letting meat touch the dome.  If that is not a no-no, then it fit easily.
    PP 6.jpg 1.4M
    PP 8.jpg 1.7M
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • This dude will show up. I've seen him chime in twice in the fee months I've been on here. It was slick.

·
    I have and idea.  I will post once its built and again with the chow on it.  should be nice
    ·
    And by the way,  to all the guys and girls on here who do a lot of posting,  thanks.  I have learned a **** ton by just reading and every time I post questions on here they are answered asap.  Here is one to all of you, (glasses clanking)
    ·
    Will do.  15 years out of high school and having a no kid party starting at noon.  I will need a wide view camera
    ·