Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRI-TIP target temp

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got the coveted Tri-Tip going on the BGE as I write. I've got it going direct at about 270 degrees, smoking hickory chips. [p]My question is this... I like medium rare, my wife likes medium... what is my target temp and is there any way to know when I've got medium rare/medium without popping a hole in the side of the TriTip with a probe? [p]Finally, I've read on here before that a 2 lbs TRI-TIP should take an hour to get to medium rare at 270... is that correct?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    One of the King's Men, lots of links that say 15 minutes per pound (I cook mine between 350 and 400), but I allow 20 minutes a pound.[p]Did you stuff it (fruit, onions, etc)? The time I schedule allows for opening, basting, etc.[p]Stick a temp probe in to be sure.[p]Good luck! Tasty stuff.[p]LVM

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    One of the King's Men,[p]my bad, meant to reply to the turkey, one post below - sorry![p]LVM