Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pans

Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ive been wandering this site for a couple weeks with so many questions..finally i got permission to post! lol :)

We just bought an XL egg and I cooked some drumsticks on it yesterday.. My grate was not raised or anything just a stock egg.. I am worried I need to use a drip pan under chicken? I dont want a bunch of goop at the bottom from drippage since I eat a lot of chicken.  Ive read that its best to cook on a raised grid but how do i know when to and not to use a drip pan?  I hope this isnt a dumb question.  Im used to cooking on a weber q..recently cleaned it and it was disgusting.. must..baby..bge :)

also.. would it be best to use the platesetter/woo/or flip3.. my platesetter is on the way but i guess im wondering why i might need the woo or flip3 (they look the same to me) i guess they are less fragile from what i can tell.

Any help would be awesome! :)

Comments

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    You really only use a drip pan if you are cooking indirect with the platesetter on.   Just direct, raised or standard, and the fat will just burn off on the coals.   As for the raised grid or other accessories debate, alot of that is personal preference.   So far I have not run into anything i cannot cook (from wings to pork shoulder) with the stock grate and platesetter.   I'd say learn with the stock equipment, get your style down, then buy accessories you think would help you cook the way you like to.
    Pentwater, MI
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    also, a note about cleaning the BGE as opposed to a weber:  On the BGE to clean you just burn it out at about 7-800 degrees for a couple hours, and anything inside turns to ash, no need to actually "clean" the interior like you are used to
    Pentwater, MI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    also, a note about cleaning the BGE as opposed to a weber:  On the BGE to clean you just burn it out at about 7-800 degrees for a couple hours, and anything inside turns to ash, no need to actually "clean" the interior like you are used to
    True dat

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    We do chicken about once/week and use a raised, direct method. No drip pan. There isn't that much grease drippage from chicken that won't burn off on the hot lump. I slather mine generously with Open Pit BBQ sauce which results in some dripping off too. I've cleaned my Egg out a few times now and there was nothing but dry ash in the bottom.

Fatty meats cooked low and slow is when drip pans are needed. There again, I don't think it is so much to prevent grease from pooling in the bottom as keeping it off the coals to prevent flare-ups that might raise the temp too much.
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    5 lbs of kicken wing on my XL at raised direct at 350
    LET'S EAT
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Sorry my bad,Didnt look at the pic before posting. Its using plate setter with leg up. Cover plate setter with alum. foil
    LET'S EAT
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

With regard to the "clean burn" at high temps mentioned above-don't know about theXLBGE (I have a LBGE) but with mine you can expect the OEM gasket to fry (if it hasn't done so by the time you decide to burn). BGE will send you a nomex replacement gratis but just be ready-and that topic is a whole nother thread.

Platesetter vs CGS (ceramic grill store) gear-personal preference as noted-you can initially get by with any type deflector for indirect cooks while gaining some run-time with the BGE.

Welcome and ask away-what we don't know we will come up with a great line to make it sound "all good"

:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cap says: Welcome and ask away-what we don't know we will come up with a great line to make it sound "all good"

Cen-Tex says: :)) so true

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited May 2012
    with the xl, it's easy to create heat zones.   see pic below.  if you are worried about juices burning, check the foil under the bird.  started the bird over the lump with skin side down to get the skin rendering,  then flipped over for awhile, finally moved to cool side of xl with breast side away from heat to roast to temp.......

heat zones, another reason why xl is my favorite egg.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    thanks everyone.  i can already feel the addiction brewing