Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to brine sausage......

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I finally got some Instacure, and want to try something simple for starters. I am thinking fresh (raw) sausage prepared by the local grocery. I have formula information (not much pink salt to brine for this small quanitity) but am having trouble finding time information. So how long would I brine suasages, a matter of hours or days?

I have made sausage at home before, but always to cook straight away, never cured, dried, or smoked.

Oh, and I will be smoking using a smoking tray in my BGE.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    Here is a PDF I go to from time to time when I'm making sausage.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn176.pdf
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Thanks Outlaw

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    edited May 2012
    Options

You don't actually brine the meat. The Instacure is mixed into the meat at 1 Tsp per 5 Lb of meat. Here is my recipe that I make quite often as it goes fast. Especialy when mt freinds find out that I've made it. Note that Prague Powder and Instacure are basicaly the same.

Scott's Pickle, Olive & Cheese Loaf

Ingredients:
    3 Lbs Lean Beef
    2 Lbs Pork Butt
    1 Tbsp Ground White Pepper
    1 Tbsp Ground Mustard
    1 Tbsp Celery Seed
    1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
    1 Tsp Ground Coriander
    1 Tsp Garlic Powder
    2 Tsp Ground Ginger 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 Cup Powdered Milk
    2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
    11/4 Cup Ice Water
    1/4 Cup Bourbon
    1 Tsp Prague Powder #1
    11/2 Cups High Temp Cheddar Cheese, Diced
    1 Cup Sweet Pickles, Diced
    10 Oz Jar Martini ­ Stuffed Green Olives, Rough Chopped

Directions:
    Course grind the meat.

Mix all together.

Stuff into 2½ inch Fibrous casings, will make about 7 - 1 Lb sausages.

Refrigerate overnight. Next morning remove from frig and allow to come to room temperature.

Smoke at 165°F until the internal temp is 152°F (about 12 to 14 hours).

Remove from smoker and cool in an ice water bath until the internal temp reaches 110°F.

Remove and place the frig for 24 hours before using.

Note: You can leave out anything you don’t want and make just P&P or just Olive loaf etc.

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Ah ha, in the information I found it was not clear, and given all the warnings about nitrate ingestion I made an assumption it was not actually included in the meat.  Guess I'll have to get the grider / stuffer attachment for the Kitchenaide.

Thanks

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    So brining with the cure is for cold smoking things like bacon, or such where you have one piece of meat.

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Not sure i've never used it in a brine. I make a lot of sausage but i've not tried bacon yet.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I dry cure bacon...basically rub the slab with the curing mixture and let it sit for a week before smoking. Brining with the curing salts would be for cuts like turkey (for deli meat), brisket ( to corn it for corned beef)...you are transforming the meat with the curing salts if that makes sense...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I'll add that the Rulhman charcuterie book is a fantastic resource...
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Thanks all.  I have the Rulhman book on order.  I assume it will talk both recipies and process.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Yup...everything.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    Options
    you can brine cure bacon too.  it's what the major manufacturers do...

but it's better dry cured.

just some advice, please read and understand what you are doing and why.  don't start freewheeling with just assuming you can buy 'x' (in this case, sausages), and brine it, and then cold smoke or hot smoke it.

you will chase your tail all over hell not knowing what is happening, why, and what effect the individual steps have on what it is you actually want to have land on your plate.

as for the 'health' issue with nitrites and nitrates, don't assume that what you think you know is true.
    a fresh salad can contain as many or more nitrites in it than the slice of ham you have next to it.

in fact, those organic/natural  'celery' cured bacons which are cured with "no additional nitrites" don't need any "additional nitrites" because they get it all from the celery powder, since celery is already high in nitrites. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

I'll add that the Rulhman charcuterie book is a fantastic resource...

The book arrived today.  I read the section on smoking (hot and cold) and understand much better about the curing process.  I am leaning toward Herb-Brined Smoked Turkey Breast for my first foray.  I really want to try the cold smoked salmon, but that has so much set up that it probably won't happen for a week or two.