Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weapons of Meat Destruction!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Let's see some pics of your WOMDs!  These are my BBQ Specific rubs and spices:

What are you working with???
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I picked up a 7 pound jar of bad byrons the other day. I use it alot for shoulders. I also ordered 2 pounds of cow lick and 2 pounds of dizzy dust those are my go to dizzy dust rubs. I picked up cluck and squeal at teh Georgia mountain eggfest the all purpose and rib rub the all purpose is really good haven't tried the rib rub yet. I have most of the dizzy pig rubs. I really want to start making my own rubs. I recently made a sweet and spicy rub from Steven Raichlens rubs, marinades, and mops book that was really good.
  • Mine looks identical to yours. I actually thought that las my pic at first Funny.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Bad Byrons or Texasbbqrub Grand Championship for pork butts.

Mike Mills 17th St. Bar and Grill Magic Dust for ribs

Texasbbqrub Old No. 2 for brisket.

Just ordered a sampler pack for Dizzy Pig.  Hd never heard of them until joining this forum.
  • Head Country rub. I put that on everything. I would recomend head country to anyone!

I am looking to try some of the dizzy pig rubs soon. Not sure where I want to start. I love a nice jerk seasoning, might try that one first.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I find head country to be very salty.
  • Lit
    Head Country rub. I put that on everything. I would recomend head country to anyone!

I am looking to try some of the dizzy pig rubs soon. Not sure where I want to start. I love a nice jerk seasoning, might try that one first.
    to the Jamaican one isn't that good. Start with cow lick or dizzy dust.
  • I love the Jamaican Firewalk. Very addictive says everyone in my house.
  • The Jamaican Firewalk is excellent.  To be honest, I love all of the Dizzy Pig rubs.  I bought the pack that comes with all 11 flavors in the regular sized bottles, and have tried all but Pineapplehead and Red Eye Express!  If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably either be raising the steaks or swamp venom.  
  • Lit
    I love the Jamaican Firewalk. Very addictive says everyone in my house.
    I lived with a Jamaican in college for 5 years and that's not a jerk seasoning. Suger shouldn't be the second ingredient in a jerk seasoning. The flavor of the rub is good but if someone is looking for real jerk seasoning this isnt it.
  • True, but it does not claim to be jerk seasoning. It's based on that profile with their spin on it. Same as many of their others. Not authentic jerk but a really cool flavor for me. I actually do not like traditional jerk so I was wary. I loved it.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I use Willys number one-derful rub from the book "Smoke and Spice" for a nice general all purpose rub

Apple Rib Rub from the same book is fantastic on ribs if you like a sweet dry rubbed rib

Dizzy Pig Raging River on fish, first coated with honey

McCormicks Grill Mates "Cowboy Rub" for cheap steaks or spicy dry rubbed pork baby backs

Bone suckin' Sauce for general rub

BGE Green Pecan seasoning on chicken

Also, I add "Slap ya mama" to anything I want to have a little more kick.  It's quickly becoming a table spice for me.

I've only been playing with rubs for the past 7-8 months though, so these are just a snap shot of what I use right now.  It changes, and it will take years before I actually have "go to" rubs for anything long term.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    +1 with FxLynch on Willy's number one-derful from the Jamison's "Smoke and Spice" book-BTW-a very good basics book for anyone.  Beyond that, I have a homemade Memphis dry-rub that has been a staple for years-haven't ventured out into much of the commercial rub world but that's about to change with some DP and Bad Byron's (just to see what I've been avoiding:))
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    +1 with FxLynch on Willy's number one-derful from the Jamison's "Smoke and Spice" book-BTW-a very good basics book for anyone.  Beyond that, I have a homemade Memphis dry-rub that has been a staple for years-haven't ventured out into much of the commercial rub world but that's about to change with some DP and Bad Byron's (just to see what I've been avoiding:))
    I just picked up two new books that are just rubs, sauces, marinades, etc.
    "Barbecue Bible: Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes Butters, and Glazes" by STEVEN RAICHLEN
    and,
    "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops, and Salsas"

Haven't had a chance to try anything yet, but Paul Kirks book has an excellent section on the 30 some spices used in BBQ rubs, and how to taste for each one.
  • cazzy
    I need I buy more rubs...soon.

Saving my VI gift for my 1st Brisket...can't wait to use it. Thanks again VI!!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Bad Byrons or Texasbbqrub Grand Championship for pork butts.

Mike Mills 17th St. Bar and Grill Magic Dust for ribs

Texasbbqrub Old No. 2 for brisket.

Just ordered a sampler pack for Dizzy Pig.  Hd never heard of them until joining this forum.
    I need to pick up some 17th St next time I am there. I never heard of Dizzy either until this forum. I saw some yesterday when buying the XL and forgot to pick it up! #$@%
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I need I buy more rubs...
    Me too.
    I use bone sucking rub, or the Mrs likes mixing up her own out of the "BBQ Bible"
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • cazzy
    I hear alot about Cluck and Squeal...how do y'all like it?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Well here's my rubs. Most of them, anyway. Also have some Fiesta Rubs for ribs, brisket and fajitas (if you count fajitas)image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin

Cazzy - Cluck and Squeal is pretty good. Was just given a bottle of the new Beef Specific one by a fellow Egghead this afternoon.And Mark, the owner is a stand up guy. I got the pleasure of cooking with him last year at the Plano Eggfest.

Rowlett, Texas

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Here are my Tasty Licks Rubs. I'm a big fan.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    When I told the wife I may need to start a rub collection she just about flipped I wonder why
    :-?

• cazzy
    Damn that's a lot of vinegar!! Can't wait to see your rub collection!!
  • cazzy
    Tell me more about Tasty Licks please...

• cazzy

Well here's my rubs. Most of them, anyway. Also have some Fiesta Rubs for ribs, brisket and fajitas (if you count fajitas)image

That's what I'm talking bout Griffin! Thanks for the info on Cluck and Squeal...I'll be picking some up. In fact, I think I may just buy every rub listed in this thread!!

8-}
  • cortguitarman
    Tell me more about Tasty Licks please...

@cazzy I have 4 of their rubs, but he has an entire line. The ones I have are the Black Barts Brisket Rub, Ribbit Rib Rub, Burger Meister Rub, and Red Eye Red Meat Rub.

I just used the Rib rub on Sunday and man those ribs were incredible. The rub gave them a little zing without being overpowering. I'd definitely recommend it.

The Brisket Rub adds lots of great flavor to the bark of the brisket. It has coffee in it with lots of pepper and other spices. We really liked this one as well.

The Red Eye Red Meat Rub is one that I've only used a couple of times, but it is great. Flank steaks with a little terriyaki sauce and this rub are money. This is really good on steaks too.

The Burger Meister Rub is a good all around rub. I actually like it best on pork chops rather than burgers. I put lots of onions and other goodies in my burgers, so I find that the burgers don't need the help of the rub. Ironically, the burger meister is the least flavorful, but I use it the most often. I think it adds just the right touch to some different meats.

I buy them from www.fredsmusicandbbq.com

This is the guy that goes by the handle the smokin guitar player and does all of the youtube videos. They are only a short distance from my house so I go into the store every few months. I would highly recommend checking out Fred's site and store if you ever get to Shillington, PA. He has everything for a BGE and barbecue tool that you can imagine. His rubs are fantastic and so is the customer service. They actually formulate these rubs for their competition bbq team and then sell them when they are successful. Order some of his rubs, you won't be disappointed.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Griffin
    Don't even get me started on sauces. I've got way too many unopened bottles in the pantry that I want to try, but I feel like I need to finish a bottle before I open another one.

Rowlett, Texas

• Don't even get me started on sauces. I've got way too many unopened bottles in the pantry that I want to try, but I feel like I need to finish a bottle before I open another one.
    I make my own red sauce but use a lot of Salt Lick. So unique, just love it. Need to try bone sucking sauce though. On my very short list.

• cazzy
    Don't even get me started on sauces. I've got way too many unopened bottles in the pantry that I want to try, but I feel like I need to finish a bottle before I open another one.
    Ohhhhh, I want to see!! :D

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    hmmmmm Sauces you say ? 
    8-}
  • cortguitarman
    @hapster where are you from? I live west of Freds. I'm in Palmyra which is right next to Hershey.
    Mark Annville, PA