Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do YOU clean your Egg?

Options
Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've seen a few threads before on this, and now that I'm actually cooking on my Egg I wanted to broach the subject again. SO...

How often do YOU clean your Egg and what is your method? Clean the innards, or just keep the grates and ashes cleaned up/out?

I haven't done a "big" clean yet - debating if I need to or not...

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    No real cleaning needed, I do vacuum the ashes out every 3-4 cooks.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Judging from the XL I saw that is used every day, they never need to be cleaned LOL. It was 'well seasoned" to say the least. I have had one of my Webers for 12 years and have never cleaned it. WHen it needs cleaning, it flames up a bit and cleans on it's own.  I saw let it ride!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Obviously we clean the ash every 3 or 4 cooks. About once a month we need to pull the fire box and clean thoroughly. The fire box has air holes around it and ash builds below those holes and will inhibit air flow. Some of the guys have high suction shop vacs and say they get that extra ash that way.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Cook some pizza and fire up a wok every now and then. I have yet to burn lump just to clean my egg.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Take the ashes out fairly often and when the plate setter gets a bunch of crud on it it put it on legs down and get the temp up as far as it will go (700+) for a while - that seems to be all the cleaning it needs
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    With the XL and Wicked Good, I'd clean it out once a bag.  Occasionally I'll clean out before a long low and slow.  I have spread the ashes around w/o emptying just because they tend to pile up more in the center.  I haven't felt the need to do a high temp burn yet, but if you have grease build up, that's the way to clean it out.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I never clean.  I scrape out most of the ash when necessary, and never use a vacuum.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I'm in the "all effort into the preps", once on the BGE-no worries.  So, I don't do a scheduled or planned clean/burn  from a carbon build-up perspective.  But am fairly meticulous about the ash and air-flow needs so if that's a clean then I fall into the too frequent camp.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    I just clean the ashes out and wipe down the outside. 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I use a shop vac on the ashes every 3-4 cooks. Otherwise, no cleaning has been necessary. I do wipe down the outside with a little hot water when a bird decides that the egg is a good place to use as a crapper.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I take the charcoal grate out and shovel out the ash on the bottom maybe once or twice a year.  Thats all I've ever done since I've owned the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    If I'm doing a long cook I take it apart and shop vac the ash out. The other night I decided to do a clean burn since I was getting ready to do a low and slow. I've heard if you get it hot enough everything turns white. Well I had enough ash build up and very little lump so only got to about 600 degrees but I have to say the firebox, ring, and plate setter are white again. I've had my egg for about a year and half, and that's the first time I've done a clean burn. I don't think I would do a dedicated burn, but I wanted to use the leftover lump.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I rake the ashes out every cook.  Take the fire pit out and clean ashes completely about 3 times a year.  That's it.
  • eddiepro
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    Options
    I have an ash vac for my pellet stove. I just got my egg, so that will be my method before the memorial day cooks!

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options

Whiz, I always read your comments with interest since you are one of the most knowledgable eggers...but won't the ash build up below the side holes in firebox inhibit air flow?  I pulled my firebox and there was quite a lot there.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I never clean.  I scrape out most of the ash when necessary, and never use a vacuum.
    I'm in that same group, but I'm lazy. I think in time I've had mine, I've taken the innards out twice to clean it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    The following is on an "whenever needed" basis: 
    1. Shop-Vac for the ashes
    2. ball of aluminum foil for the grates
    3. High Temp Burnout for the gunk & soot
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    Mines blacker than hell inside, guess I should burn it out one of these days. But Each time I fill it up with charcoal I start fresh. Scoop out all the old stuff and give it a blast with the shop vac. Fill it up, when that lumps basically depleted I do it again. If the grates have some stubborn gunk on them I blast them with the weed burner quick, in a real dirty situation they'll go in the slop sink and get hit with brillo.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    I must be lucky, because I've been egging a few times a week since November 2011 and I've only used a shop vac once. I do agitate the coals before envy cook and scrape the bottom out with the ash tool and BGE dustpan. My temps are very stable and I haven't had a problem getting up to high heat.

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    burr baby, I may take the fire box out every 2-3 years and if I do, I'll of course get the ash around the sides, but when I scrape ash out, i reach down the sides as far as the tool will go and get some of that  out, but I've not had any airflow problems.
    The Naked Whiz