Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak slow cook?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my green egg for about a year and had some fabulous success. However, I am now ready to experiment using some different techniques. What would happen if I cooked my steaks slowly instead of searing them as I have in the past. Say I put my steaks at 225 degrees for several hours. What would the result be. Would you recommend using a drip pan or a stone to keep the steak from direct heat. thanks everywone.[p]Wes

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Wes, For one thing, you will have a well done steak and IMHO little or no crusting with much more smoke taste to it. Might be a new trend. Let us know how your experiment fly's!!
    C~W[p]

• Wes,[p]I did a steak at low temps on a mini Egg last week and it was great. I put a bit of steak seasoning on it cooked it directly on the grate at 225 degrees. I added some cherry chips for a bit of smoke. The end result was a medium-well done steak that had a LOT of flavor and was very tender. With the steak directly on the grate I flipped it every 20 minutes (approx). My wife and I like steaks a bit more done than most people, with a pink inside. With the low and slow it may be a bit harder to determine when to remove the steak, but after a few cookings you will figure it out. For most of the steaks I do it takes less than an hour.[p]If you like the grate marks on the steak you can increase the temp and sear for a few seconds before serving.[p]It's worth a try....[p]
  • Larry Jenkins,[p]Thanks for the input. Reading past entries it seems that the low and slow will increase the meats tenderness - do you have an opinion on that?

• Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the input - maybe I will try a mustard or mayonnaise rub. [p]Wes

• Wes,[p]I'm not sure if it's always true unless you are talking a LONG cook. If there is a bit of fat in the meat then the slow cook should make for a tender cut. I have done some low/slow cooking only to have a new piece of leather. The smoke should also help in tenderize the meat. Probably the best key to determine tenderness is the quality of the meat.[p]Larry

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wes,
    Still learning myself, but it seems like low slow cooks make the meat more tender with tougher meats like butts and brisket. Those cuts need plenty of time to break down the connective tissue.[p]Steak is tender to begin with, and also very tender when quickly seared and cooked. That doesn't mean that low slow is NOT the way to go! Tough meats don't do well with short cooks, but tender meats CAN do well with long cooks.[p]Please share the results of your eggsperimentations.
    I love when folks try new things.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ