Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Smoked Ribs

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Sunday was a lazy day and perfect for smoking some ribs on the Egg. Decided to go with some Salt Lick rub and used cherry wood for the smoke.

On to the Egg along with the trimmings

Done after about 5 hours

Plated up with some grilled corn, pasta salad and some baked beans.

Was a great day, sitting around reading the paper, watching some TV, napping and letting the Auber Pit Controller run the Egg for me. Almost seemed like cheating.

More pictures and details HERE

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Nice one.  Love some ribs.  Makes me want some today!!  
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Food looks great, nice presentation and pics!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Good smoke ring and bark.  Bet it was yummy !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    Looks good!  Hoping I get a chance to do some ribs this weekend...  If they turn out looking anything like that it will be a success!  
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • Griffin
    Options
    Very tasty. I forgot how peppery the Salt Lick rub was, though. Think I went a lil heavy ahnded on it.

Rowlett, Texas

• Roob
    Roob Posts: 9
    Options

Griffing,

I cooked spareribs this weekend as well.  Trimmed it St Louis style.  They came out great.  But I've only had the egg a couple of weeks and I ran into one problem.   When I got the lump going,  I got it to where it was burning in the 600-700 range.  Fire was coming out of the wide open daisy opening on top, very similar to the 1st pic in your link.   My problem is that I really struggled to bring the temperature back down to 270 (which is the temperature I use - I'm at elevation here in Albuquerque, so I always adjust temp up a bit to account for lower air pressure). 

I shut down much of the air flow, but it still took over an hour just to get the temp back to 300.  Luckily I still had plenty of time to get the ribs smoked, but in the future I prefer to avoid the long wait in getting the temp back to the 270 range.   The obvious solution to my problem is to ensure that I never allow the egg to reach those high temps.    The downside is that I don't allow the lump and wood (apricot and pecan in my case) to burn off some of that heavy smoke that they produce at the start.

Would like to hear the lighting technique you used to get your temp to 250.  Thanks.

• Griffin
    Options

Sorry to hear that you had problems. Once you hit a high temp with a lot of coal burning, its hard to bring it back down. In order to help you better, I would need to know how you started your lump. I use a weed burner attached to a propane tank. Usually move it over the coals for about a minute, not quite keeping it in any one spot for long, then close the lid and leave top off and bottom open and allow it to come to temp. When it gets within about 50 degrees or so of desired temp, I begin to close the bottom vent to slow the increase of temp. For 250, you aren't going to want the bottom open very much, maybe 1/4 to half an inch, and you are going to want your top closed down pretty much to about where a toothpick will slide in.

As for this actual cook, I used a pit controller. Lit the lump mynormal way, threw in the placesetter and grate, attached the pit controller and set it 250. Went inside and trimmed and prepped the ribs and by the time I was about done, the Egg was hanging at 250. I know that doesn't help if you don't have a pit controller....

As for the first picture in my blog, I'm guessing you mean the header. It show ups on every page of my blog and was a cook from a long time ago. Pizza or steak or something. Don't really remember right now.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions. Welcome aboard, people here will help you in any way they can.

Rowlett, Texas

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Jason,

Cherry is my favorite for ribs too, that and some hickory.  Great looking plate, dude! 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks, Chris. I'll be using it more. Just wish I could get chunks and not just chips. Been trying to work on my plating presentation and playing with lighting and effects.

Rowlett, Texas

• Roob
    Roob Posts: 9
    Options

That helps a lot, Griffin!  Thank you.

I used a looftlighter to get it going.  I still have a weedburner that I used on my previous smoking rig.  I never considered using that,  but I now realize that I can still use it to start the fire.    I'll try this new lighting technique next weekend.

Here's a pic of my ribs taken with my iPhone - I'll use a regular camera next time for improved quality. 

BTW, the 4 sunglasses on the table were for viewing the solar eclipse that occurred here in Albuquerque late Sunday afternoon (6:30 to 7:30).   I didn't have a welder's mask so 4 layers of sunglasses had to do.

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Griff, nice ribs. I agree, falling off the bone ribs are just over cooked ribs. I think that is just an expression to make ribs sound good. Yours look very nice indeed.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Griffin
    Options

Marketing ploy, I tell ya! They done brainwashed the BBQ uneducated portion of our society.

Rowlett, Texas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Very tasty. I forgot how peppery the Salt Lick rub was, though. Think I went a lil heavy ahnded on it.
    Lot of black pepper and cayenne in that rub. Little goes a long way.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX