Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy here coming from Weber. (Looking Large and XL)

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Look into the adjustable Rig from the ceramic grill store.....

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-adjustable-rig.html
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Fill it up with lump to the ring, light it and take it to 200, The  to 250 and 300 and such. When it is about 50 degrees of your target temp start closing your vent. Start with the vents wide open.Its easier to catch it goin up, Takes awhile to go down
    LET'S EAT
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    The CGS Adjustable looks nice as well. Thanks for the link. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Sgt93
    Fill it up with lump to the ring, light it and take it to 200, The  to 250 and 300 and such. When it is about 50 degrees of your target temp start closing your vent. Start with the vents wide open.Its easier to catch it goin up, Takes awhile to go down
    Great tip, thank you. 
  • All that stuff about an XL having temp control issues are BS. They all do just fine once you get the hang of it. You can cook small meals on an XL but like I sad above, you can't cook on space you don't have. I've never really had an issue with my L but i would go for the XL if I had to choose again today.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I've never really had an issue with my L but i would go for the XL if I had to choose again today.
    X2
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    buy the xl and dont look back!
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Has anyone used the Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier grate? Looks pretty nice. 

Everyone buys things from the ceramic grill store including me. That being said I am getting the 2 tier grate you are talking about immediately when I get my xl. I want to lay a lot of ribs flat.
    I just read up on it in another thread.  Looks like a nice piece of gear but that some people had clearance issues with a lower bolt hitting the plate. 

With the BGE brand two tier hadn't heard that. If that's the case please put link. I would like to read that.
  • Sgt93

Everyone buys things from the ceramic grill store including me. That being said I am getting the 2 tier grate you are talking about immediately when I get my xl. I want to lay a lot of ribs flat.
    I just read up on it in another thread.  Looks like a nice piece of gear but that some people had clearance issues with a lower bolt hitting the plate. 

With the BGE brand two tier hadn't heard that. If that's the case please put link. I would like to read that.
    Not the BGE one the Ceramic Grill Works one (that I like the design of). Here is a link http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138982/thinking-about-a-swing-grate/p1
  • Newportlocal

Not the BGE one the Ceramic Grill Works one (that I like the design of). Here is a link http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138982/thinking-about-a-swing-grate/p1

Ahh... Ok yep I saw that one before and obsessed on it a little while especially with the almost cast iron qualities. Would be fun for sear marks. I decided on the BGE 2tier because it looked like more useable space on the upper rack and easy to take on and off, but I like the swing grate design.
  • Sgt93
    Yeah I am not sure which one I will go with, that adjustable rig from CGS is pretty nice as well. 
  • Newportlocal
    Yeah I am not sure which one I will go with, that adjustable rig from CGS is pretty nice as well. 

Yep seems everyone swears by the adjustable rig. I just bought a mini woo from them and I have no doubt they are the great quality place. I am sure I will buy more from them. The two tier is just going to be my starter kit so to speak. Only because I want to lay down beef ribs as many as I can and it just seemed the best option. For anything else there are lots of options. If someone shows me a better option for laying down lots of beef ribs I will be happy to take it.
  • I like both companies but the rig does multi levels (I think it can actuly do 3 levels of flat ribs). I do like the cast iron style of the swing rack though.
  • Newportlocal
    I like both companies but the rig does multi levels (I think it can actuly do 3 levels of flat ribs). I do like the cast iron style of the swing rack though.

From what I have seen the adjustable rig is great for baby back pork ribs. I am just concerned on clearance between levels with big beef ribs. I thought about calling and asking them as I still have some time to research it. If there is anyone with an xl adjustable rig that has done multiple levels of beef ribs I would be very content to but the AR. Whatever system holds the most beef ribs will work for me. Of course I will be cooking many other things, but this is the buying purpose for my first rig for the xl.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Swing grate is in my future.
    @sgt93 glad to see the old Ford did the job. I think you'd probably rip the axles off my 1/2 ton Chevy. That is a nice looking ride. Glad I was able to give you a laugh. Congrats on the XL. You'll love it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sgt93
    @sgt93 glad to see the old Ford did the job. I think you'd probably rip the axles off my 1/2 ton Chevy. That is a nice looking ride. Glad I was able to give you a laugh. Congrats on the XL. You'll love it.
    LOL, thanks. The truck is a beast for sure.

I woke up this morning and first thing I did (even before pouring coffee) was to walk outside and stare at the XL LOL. I can't wait to use her.  I may even run her tonight low temps with just lump to assist in breaking her in.
  • cortguitarman

Mark Annville, PA
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Guess it's too late to pimp the Large eh.  LOL.  Congrats on the purchase.  Maybe I just have XL envy.  
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I have had my bge xl for 10 days and I am loving it, my father in law is about to purchase a new grill and was over for a steak dinner, when he saw it he his first worlds were, do they make a bigger one.

I couldn't have imagined going smaller for my first egg.
  • Sgt93
    I can't imagine smaller either. I have lump going right now to break in the seal while doing work. Can't believe how easy she maintains heat.
  • cortguitarman
    @sgt93 I don't know how much you've read on the forum about gaskets but don't panic if you fry your gasket in a few weeks. Mine lasted a month. BGE replaced mine with a high temp nomex gasket at no charge. Replacing it isn't difficult.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sgt93
    @sgt93 I don't know how much you've read on the forum about gaskets but don't panic if you fry your gasket in a few weeks. Mine lasted a month. BGE replaced mine with a high temp nomex gasket at no charge. Replacing it isn't difficult.
    I have read a bit about it. I appreciate the info and will keep it in mind. 
  • I like both companies but the rig does multi levels (I think it can actuly do 3 levels of flat ribs). I do like the cast iron style of the swing rack though.

From what I have seen the adjustable rig is great for baby back pork ribs. I am just concerned on clearance between levels with big beef ribs. I thought about calling and asking them as I still have some time to research it. If there is anyone with an xl adjustable rig that has done multiple levels of beef ribs I would be very content to but the AR. Whatever system holds the most beef ribs will work for me. Of course I will be cooking many other things, but this is the buying purpose for my first rig for the xl.
    the rig can do 2 Briskets and 6 butts on a large. All much thicker than beef ribs. I think you could do 3 racks of beef ribs but you should ask Tom.
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Hello everyone my name is Derek and I am also new to the BGE and in the same place Steve is on trying decide which to get the L or the XL. I wanted the XL but the dealer here in Savannah GA said he has too much trouble controlling the heat on low settings with the XL and recommended I get the L. I was convinced until I read this post. Is this not an issue (heata control)? 99% of the time I am only cooking for me and the wife and her father that lives with us but I hate being constrained on not having enough room. Is the X" too big for just doing 3 or 4 chicken breast during the week or does that really matter? When I opened this listing I said whatever Cen-Tex says is the answer but I was expecting him to say go for the Large. I really appreciate how everyone gives feedback good or bad.
    Thats a crock get the XL.   We are a family of four and we use it for venison burgers a couple nights a week.   I am thinking about getting a small for side items.
  • Sgt93
    I got an email from CGW on their 2 tier system and they are looking at about 4 weeks before shipping again. I really like the 2 tier. I think I would use that more than the CGS adjustable. Wouldn't mind having both though!
  • Sgt93
    I can't believe how well this thing maintains a temp! I check every half hour or so and it's just sitting at 280 where I left her.  Amazes me. I don't think you even need the GURU unless you want the extra piece of mind.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    There is no trouble controlling the temp on any egg. The XL is great and so is the large. Personally, I feel that the large, large and mini is the perfect set. That said my XL is the old style. Coming from a weber is a walk in the park after a little bit of practice. Anyone can solid help here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sgt93
    There is no trouble controlling the temp on any egg. The XL is great and so is the large. Personally, I feel that the large, large and mini is the perfect set. That said my XL is the old style. Coming from a weber is a walk in the park after a little bit of practice. Anyone can solid help here
    The help on this site has been amazing. I am growing quite fond of the people on here :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Sarge I'm getting kinda fond of you too :-*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sgt93
    :)