Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Tri Tip and prime Fillets

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Finally got a chance to try the new sous vide yesterday. I threw a small tri tip and 3 prime fillets in at 128 degrees around noon and went to the lake and came back around 5 and fired up teh small with the salt block for the fillets and the mini for the tri tip. The fillets were seasoned with Cluck and Squeal all purpose rub and the tri tip with Dizzy Pig raising the steaks. I pulled the tri tip out and threw it on the mini for about a minute a side and then foiled it and threw the fillets on the salt block for a minute a side including the edges. The IR thermometer was reading 600 on the block. The fillets were amazing but I wasn't supper impressed with the tri tip it wasn't any better than I could do with just a hot tub and then t rex. Next I am going to try to season the steaks and then cold smoke them and then sous vide them so I still get the egg flavor.Also roasted red potatoes, parsnips, mushrooms, and onions.gimageimagefimageaimagevimageoimagerimage

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Lit,  why did you go with 128?  From what I'm reading, ugly bacteria can live up to 126 degrees, and 128 is playing it mighty close.

However, from your pictures, the meat looks more done to me than 128.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

I usually pull my tri tips and steak between 125-128 and foil so I went with that. The tri tip and fillets were in the sous vide the exact same time and for some reason the tri tip meat came out looking more done even though you could tell eating it it wasn't. I think part of it is the pictures are from my cell phone. The fillets were pretty much red all the way through. I didn't take a final temp off the egg but I checked them all out of the sous vide and they were at 128. Guessing they finished after the rest in the 135-140 range,

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The fillets look amazing

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX