Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new use for rubs

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thw wife has been trying yo gwt me to eat some healthy snacks, so she came home with a big bag of almonds. Yesterday while the egg was still warm from cooking dinner, I took a cup of almonds, put them in a bowl, lightly coated in olive oil, then sprinkled with Bone Sucking Rub covered bowl and shook the day lights out of them.
Laid out foil on the grid indirect, and roast them at about 350 for 20 minutes (honestly time and temp are guesses since I was eating dinner).
I have to say, I'm liking these almonds!
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks, will add that one. BSS is the best on sauce to me for BBQ chicken. Not tried the rub, yet.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tazcrash
    Options
    I think i need to find a better rub binder (sorry not doing yellow mustard ;) ).

I love their rub (have not yet ordered any DP), and have even been caught adding it to popcorn, and the best was potato salad. :)
    FWIW, The Mrs is not fan of the rub but loves their sauce.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    Instead of mustard I use spray olive oil to help the rub stick.  It makes a nice paste on the meat.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Thanks Green hawk, but I did use OO, and I think cooking at the temp I had the grill at left a bit of a strange flavor.
    Maybe the grill was warmer than I thought and it went past the smoke point.
    maybe instead of foil ill use a perforated sheet
    Also I definitely want more rub on them next time.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    peanut oil or maybe grapeseed, olive oil can have a heavey taste. a simple syrup of sugar and water might get a lot more to stick
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    Options
    peanut oil or maybe grapeseed, olive oil can have a heavey taste. 
    that is a great description. It didn't let the rub flavor really shine.

a simple syrup of sugar and water might get a lot more to stick
    this might work, but then I'd have to keep temp low to prevent sugar from burning. 
    I may have to raid the Mrs' grapeseed oil stash. 

Thanks 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!