Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Todays the day, smoking beef tongue *pics as I go, not for the squeamish*

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
A quick recap: My coworker gets a cow every year, and they don't use the ribs or usually the briskets.  She offered me the ribs and possibly the briskets, in exchange for me smoking their beef tongue for sandwich meat. I don't really need the beef, but the challenge of cooking something I've never even tasted was enough to make me say yes.  (I've only had beef tongue in tacos at a Mexican place.)

So here we are, ready to put it on the smoker.  I looked online quite a bit, and took some suggestions from the other thread here.  Finally, like always, I just combined what I read and winged the rest.

I decided to forgo the boiling to remove the skin, and instead just used a freshly sharped knife to skin it while it was still cold from the fridge.  I did this because it just feels weird for me to boil any kind of meat, let alone boil something I was going to smoke.  It wasn't that hard to remove the skin, just took some patience.  The skin on the tongue is amazingly tough though, definitely glad to have a sharp knife.  Even then it's tough to pierce.
I also didn't have time to make a brine and soak it for several days, so I hope that it still turns out ok.

As promised, pictures :)

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• FxLynch
    Options
    And here is a pic with a light rub on.  Another reason I didn't parboil was I read that you had to mix the rub with oil to make it stick, which I was worried would prevent smoke penetration.

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Looks good without the skin, eh? What's next, chitterlings maybe. Will be following this cook.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Keep us updated.    I loved Beef Tongue as a kid.     I have one in my freezer right now from the cow we got so I am hoping you can give me some ideas when this one is done.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Eggo- Yeah without the skin it actually looks great, like a super tender piece of beef. At the base of the tongue there is incredible marbling.

Phoenix- Will do, I'll post pics as I go.  It's up to 147 internal right now, I'm shooting for 175 before I pull it.  I didn't plan on trying any, but I might have to take a little slice to see what it's like before giving it back to my coworker.  
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    The tip is the best so don't try to take that your co-worker will hate you.     
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Here is the final product.  Sorry for the poor presentation, but I didn't plate it, just foiled it and will be dropping it off tomorrow to it's owner.  I did take one little slice, and it was delicious. Sort of a mix between a brisket point and a brisket flat in both flavor and texture.  They are going to slice it cold for sandwiches I believe.

imageimageimage
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Is that a bark or just smoked good? Seasoning?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • FxLynch
    Options
    All I put on was the little bit of rub which was mostly salt, pepper, paprika and some brown sugar.  I cooked it at 225 for about 5 hours or so.  Internal temp was around 175 when pulled, and it did have an amazing bark just from the smoke.  
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Goodness. I'm doing this!!!

How bad was skinning it?

XLBGE 
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Goodness. I'm doing this!!!

How bad was skinning it?
    It was tough, the skin was the toughest thing I've cut so far.  Seriously like cutting through thin leather, but once you got behind the skin it was like taking the skin off raw salmon, albeit a little harder since it was beef.  I'd sharpen your knife before hand, but it wasn't a big deal as long as you plan to spend some time on it.  The skin obviously goes all the way around, and the underside of the tongue is a little easier.  10 minutes into it I had gotten used to it and the rest was just manual labor.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Got my tongue!! Planning for next weekend. Wife is completely disgusted at this plan.

XLBGE 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Looks a helluva lot better cooked.  
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Nice looking cook! I read your post and I never considered a tongue until now....
    Got my tongue!! Planning for next weekend. Wife is completely disgusted at this plan.
    I proposed the idea to the wife and she said " If you want to cook something like that, cook it on your birthday weekend" (it's her bday weekend)... So looks like tongues out for me unless I can bring it home already skinned. Hehe.