Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Starting BGE

06TechGrad
06TechGrad Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I need some help in starting the egg without the little starter chip that is comprised of sawdust or whatever. I always use those but am out and don't have time to run to the store. I read somewhere that you can use newspapers. Is that true? What from around the house can I use?

Thanks!

Comments

• frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Paper towels rolled up and dipped in oil.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited May 2012
    Don't use newspapers, if you can help it. Take a paper towel, and drizzle a little vegetable oil over the surface. You're not looking to soak the entire thing. Take hold of opposite corners and twist it up into a sort of loose wick, and stick it into/under your lump, leaving the ends sticking out. Light the ends. Cheap and easy, without the waxy smoke issues you get with the starter cubes.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    What about using a mini torch? 

XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I see same response as what I did today. I roll up paper towels and dip in vegetable oil lay some charcoal over it and light. Works great every time.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I use a MAP gas torch. 45 sec - 1 minute. After 30+ starts this way, some lump must of been sitting just right as it directed the heat back to the tip and melted it some. It was enough that I need a new tip. I still like and will use the torch but I will watch it more. I would like to try the paper towel soon. One square? Two?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Paper towel with some oil on it is probably the cheapest/easiest/most reliable method.  I fold the paper towel twice into a small square, pour some waste cooking oil into the center, roll it up, stick it in the lump, light it, and 10 minutes later, I have a good fire.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I really like my electric starter. It also affords the flexibility to easily light a smaller fire or a bigger fire, depending on how you pile the fuel around it and how long you leave it in.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I have my wife save paper towels that she has used to soak up bacon grease and put them in a large ziplock bag we keep in the fridge. I tear the towels into strips and use them as fire starters. It works great. They burn long enough to light the lump every time.
  • Chapsz28
    Chapsz28 Posts: 9
    I use an electric...seems reliable and pretty safe too
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    91% Isopropyl alcohol from WalMart.  $2.50 per quart.  No smell.  Biproduct is carbon dioxide and water.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious