Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy here coming from Weber. (Looking Large and XL)

Options
Sgt93
Sgt93 Posts: 728
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, my name is Steve (living in Central IL) and I am coming over to BGE from Weber.  I own several Weber grills (Weber Gold, Performer, smokey joe etc) and after looking at a Large BGE, this forum and doing some research, I am going to pickup a Large or XL (Old Time Meat & Deli would have to order the XL).  I think I can get away with the Large but the cooking space is a little smaller than my Weber Gold.  But I know there are tier'd systems for the Large to increase cooking space.  

I still cannot get the XL out of my mind.  I am married and have two children (A teen and a 5 yo) and too like to grill out often.  I don't really compete but would love to at some time.  I like throwing large parties and would love to cook chicken and ribs, brisket etc.  I have read several "Large or XL" and the majority say to get the Large and maybe a smaller Egg later on for more cooking space.  Wouldn't an XL just make sense? Are their hotspots on the XL's? I will probably get a Large but cannot stop thinking about the XL.  I just don't want to regret getting an Large. 

Anyways, thanks for having me. It looks like the knowledge on this site is amazing. -Steve
XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    "I will probably get a Large but cannot stop thinking about the XL.  I just don't want to regret getting an Large."

Ha, I bought a Large, and a few weeks later bought an XL, intending to sell the L.  I still have both.  I found I could not do my large veggie cooks and meat very well, and that is our standard.

I use an XL almost every night to cool veggies, so I can cook direct and indirect.  My biggest volume cook was 30 pounds of pork shoulder, which barely fit in the XL.  Understand that you do not have to load and burn extra lump just because you can, and you are very correct that the cooking space is very convenient.

I also like my XL better than my L for wok cooks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BeefWellington
    Options
    I had the same dilemma about a month ago. I decided to avoid any future regrets and go with the XL, as it is better to have too much space than not enough. To me it made more sense to have the space than have to mess with a tiered system. If the L was 20 inches rather than 18, I would have done it, but 18 is just not enough.  The XL seems huge until you buy it, then it just seems practical.  Don't be concerned about the amount of charcoal used either, a 20lb bag of lump lasted for 40-50 hours of grilling on the XL. I was also a weber guy until now and I would never go back, BGE is amazing. The only way there will be hot spots is if you only light one area and are cooking directly.  The BGE does not have a lot of the common problems faced with ordinary grills. Do it. Buy the XL.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Get the XL. I have L and I love it but if I had to choose again, I would go XL 1st and then L down the road. You'll be happy either way but you have a big family and you'll be cooking for the entire neighborhood before you know it. Yiu can't cook on space you don't have.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bariccardi
    bariccardi Posts: 53
    Options
    Go with the XL. The only regret I have with my L is that it's too small!
  • Sgt93
    Options
    Doc & BeefWellington, thanks for the posts (and pics), you put me at ease a bit about getting into the XL. I need versatility and the XL looks like it fits the bill. The best nearest BGE dealer is about 45 minutes away. I may call and see if they have an XL in stock. I hate to wait! 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    If you want the XL go for it.  Once you get hooked,  there will be other eggs in your future.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    The only reason I can think of to NOT go XL is money. If that is not an issue, there is no dilemma in my opinion. I got my XL a month ago and look for excuses to use the thing.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Sgt93
    Options
    All great advice that I appreciate. I am pretty sure I will be picking up the XL. 
  • Sgt93
    Options
    Get the XL. I have L and I love it but if I had to choose again, I would go XL 1st and then L down the road. You'll be happy either way but you have a big family and you'll be cooking for the entire neighborhood before you know it. Yiu can't cook on space you don't have.
    Great advice, thanks. 
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I own them both as well. Just off of your post I can tell you really want the capacity of the xl. As others have said, if money is no dilema, go XL. I just got a small as well and Im thinking I may like the XL and small combo better than the XL and large combo.I havent cooked ribs or pork butts on my large since owning the XL. I do have the adjustable rig for the large, but there still is just something I like about having all that space to go flat with ribs or whatever. Just my thoughts.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have a medium and my best recommendation is go with the biggest size you can afford.
  • Sgt93
    Options
    I own them both as well. Just off of your post I can tell you really want the capacity of the xl. As others have said, if money is no dilema, go XL. I just got a small as well and Im thinking I may like the XL and small combo better than the XL and large combo.I havent cooked ribs or pork butts on my large since owning the XL. I do have the adjustable rig for the large, but there still is just something I like about having all that space to go flat with ribs or whatever. Just my thoughts.
    My thoughts exactly. I can afford the XL, I just hope to get a bit of a deal on one as I want the BBQ Guru as well.  I looked at the Guru website and looks like they have a wifi controller now. Technology is crazy. I don't think I need all that but would like the BGE Guru. I will use it for sure. 
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    You can cook plenty of meat on the large which I own. The thing I don't like about the large is there is no extra room for veggies or other side dishes to be cooked at the same time.

George
    George
  • Sgt93
    Options
    You can cook plenty of meat on the large which I own. The thing I don't like about the large is there is no extra room for veggies or other side dishes to be cooked at the same time.

George
    That is a worry of mine. I know I can stack etc but I think the XL is what I want/need.  I'm going to call around tomorrow to see if I can find one in stock and maybe get a decent price on it.  Old Time Meat & Deli here in Champaign IL does not stock XL's because they said the last time they had an XL, it sat about a year before selling.  I really like the people there and hope they will work with me a bit on price.  I know there is an Eggfest in Peoria IL on June 2nd so I may score a deal on an XL demo if they have one.  I HATE TO WAIT. I will drive a bit if need be.  My wife is from Peoria so we may visit. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Worth the wait if you have to! I couldn't imagine anything smaller than my XL!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Sgt93
    edited May 2012
    Options
    You guys have sealed the deal on the XL for me. I think I would drive a few hours to pick one up this week if need be LOL. I will be calling around tomorrow. Thanks everyone for emptying my wallet a bit more :-)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Don't be expecting a great deal. BGE does not allow discounting so the best you are going to get is a few accessories and maybe a bag of lump. It's ok though. Everyone pays full
    Price for new eggs and if you use them like we do (many times per week) you will more than get your money's worth. I would actually ask for the upgraded Nomex gasket as your negotiating point if you are looking for something that adds value to your purchase. They will send you a free one anyway when you fry yours but if you could get them to install it for you upfront, that would be a great value for you.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I'm not one to tell you to get a certain size because I have one. I have a large and ended up with a small I found for 200.00 bucks new in a nest. From what you describe I would get the XL or a combination of two eggs.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Sgt93
    Options
    I will be good with some accessories thrown in the mix. I have a certain price level I want to keep it at and if I can get it near Michigan Jason's deal, I will be a happy man. 

I just fired up the Weber and used the last of the charcoal. Doing burgers tonight and they are mighty fine.  Getting excited for my search of an XL. I truly appreciate everyone's advice on here and how quickly you all accepted me. That says a lot about the BGE community/family. Can't wait to join it!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I will be good with some accessories thrown in the mix. I have a certain price level I want to keep it at and if I can get it near Michigan Jason's deal, I will be a happy man. 

I just fired up the Weber and used the last of the charcoal. Doing burgers tonight and they are mighty fine.  Getting excited for my search of an XL. I truly appreciate everyone's advice on here and how quickly you all accepted me. That says a lot about the BGE community/family. Can't wait to join it!
    Like any other family, we have our issues but we are glad to have you aboard. Keep us posted on how you fare.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks like it's a done deal, but I would have gone with the Large.  Then, after awhile, you'd probably want another ... maybe another large, an XL, etc.

You said you like to throw large parties and cook chicken, ribs, and briskets.  Those all cook at different times and temps, so an XL is not a "one size fits all".

I have a large, a medium, and recently got a mini.  Great combination, IMHO.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Another bit of advice no matter what you end up with. Take your time and explore all your options on accessories. I bought a bunch of stuff real quick before I knew about all that was out there.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Sgt93
    Options
    All great advice! I know I would rather go bigger than smaller.  I use a few Webers right now that are 22.5" and wish I had more at times.  I can always break out a Weber (I will keep one) if I need one.  I know the XL is right for me and you all have put my concerns to bay, I appreciate that. I may add another BGE in the future but like my clothing, I like it a little big just in case LOL. 
  • Sgt93
    Options
    Another bit of advice no matter what you end up with. Take your time and explore all your options on accessories. I bought a bunch of stuff real quick before I knew about all that was out there.
    Also, is there any "Must have" item for the XL?
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options

Must have Eggesories?  -   Man don't even go there.      Once you have the egg they will all be must have.   I am now cooking 5 nights a week on my XL and the only reason I am not at 7 is I am either out of town or still have leftovers.   

Plate Setter first though that is must must have.  

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Sgt93
    Options

Must have Eggesories?  -   Man don't even go there.      Once you have the egg they will all be must have.   I am now cooking 5 nights a week on my XL and the only reason I am not at 7 is I am either out of town or still have leftovers.   

Plate Setter first though that is must must have.  

LOL nuff said!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options

Flip ring with a stone or the XL woo with a stone.  More versatile than the plate setter for about the same  money. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Sgt93
    Options

Flip ring with a stone or the XL woo with a stone.  More versatile than the plate setter for about the same  money. 
    Interesting.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ragtop is right. And so is Phoenix. Any time you ask what is the best_______? On this forum, the answer is $300. :)).
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Ragtop is right. And so is Phoenix. Any time you ask what is the best_______? On this forum, the answer is $300. :)).
    Truer words have never been spoken