Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt: Fat cap up or down?

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does it even really matter at all?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

Done both ways and doesn't matter from a cooking perspective-I generally put fat cap down so if anything sticks to the grid it's the fat side.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options

Done both ways and doesn't matter from a cooking perspective-I generally put fat cap down so if anything sticks to the grid it's the fat side.

+1
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    fat cap down only because you get better bark from the non fat cap side. IF you trim it very thing i'd start fat cap down and flip mid way thru, right around when you hit the stall.
  • Reno
    Reno Posts: 12
    Options
    I put fat cap up and use the BGE pizza peel to get butts off Egg. It's the same idea with cooking brisket. All of that fat is going to flow down into the meat and give it more flavor and tenderize. However, opinions are like elbows.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I put fat cap up and use the BGE pizza peel to get butts off Egg. It's the same idea with cooking brisket. All of that fat is going to flow down into the meat and give it more flavor and tenderize. However, opinions are like elbows.

That's a myth Reno...the outside fat actually runs off...see your drip pan...It doesn't magically go into the meat. The moisture you're seeing when you pull the pork is all the collagen inside the meat broken down.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    I cut the fat off the meat before putting it on. Still comes out juicy, with more bark.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I cut the fat off the meat before putting it on. Still comes out juicy, with more bark.

Yup
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    does the hunk of meat need to be at room temp. before putting it in the egg?  does that matter at all or can it come straight out of the fridge?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Doesn't really matter...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    does the hunk of meat need to be at room temp. before putting it in the egg?  does that matter at all or can it come straight out of the fridge?
    As Mighty_Quinn says-from a cooking perspective it doesn't matter-a potential benefit to going straight from the frig is that the smoke ring only forms when the meat temperature is below around 140*F-so you get more time for that with a colder hunk of meat. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    True Lou...you can even go strait from the freezer to keep it below 140 even longer...
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I trim the fat off mine too.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    I trim the fat off mine too.

Mike
    Me too.