Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef cheeks on the BGE?

cssmd27
cssmd27 Posts: 345
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Love them braised and have had them quite a few times, but never made by me. I was wondering if anyone has tried them on the egg and had any results to share? It's a classic low and slow meat type.
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• I'm very curious too. I love beef cheek and have had it several ways. Since it's the traditional meat for Barbacoa (braised and shredded beef tacos) it should lend itself to traditional low and slow.. I was in Monterrey CA and had an unreal cheek steak so I'm sure it would grill up nicely too. Lemme know what you find out and I'll dig around a little too.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • This is a braise/smoke combo method that looks real good. Seems like they are all braised before some other type of finish

http://otaised.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/cherrywood-smoked-beef-cheeks/
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Cen-Tex:

There is no Double RR in Ca!!! Only in Mx!!!!
    :-c
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Cen-Tex:

Correct- Typo

• Cen-Tex:

Correct- Typo

Sorry- I was trying to say you are correct and that was typo. Be there again this week- can't wait

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Love them braised and have had them quite a few times, but never made by me. I was wondering if anyone has tried them on the egg and had any results to share? It's a classic low and slow meat type.
    If you have a sous vide cooker try this:
    Season as you like and then cold smoke for 3 or 4 hours. After cold smoking. vacuum seal the cheeks and place in SV bath for 72 hours at 138F. Sear before serving.
  • Love them braised and have had them quite a few times, but never made by me. I was wondering if anyone has tried them on the egg and had any results to share? It's a classic low and slow meat type.
    If you have a sous vide cooker try this:
    Season as you like and then cold smoke for 3 or 4 hours. After cold smoking. vacuum seal the cheeks and place in SV bath for 72 hours at 138F. Sear before serving.
    I've had them SV before and they were unreal. They were SV then seared as a steak.....wow
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

There's a lady named Smokin' Gal on barbecue bible forum and the smoke ring who did them for Cinco de Mayo. She also had a blog called barbecue addict where you can find out how she did it. She also makes insane desserts, smoking a bunch of the ingredients first. This lady is awesome.

http://www.barbecueaddict.com/?p=332

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings