Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs

NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I stuffed them with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil -- they were AWESOME! I can't wait to try a few more stuffing combinations.
The Cen-Tex Smoker -- Thank you for the idea yesterday! 

Bacon wrapped chicken thighsBacon wrapped chicken thighs

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• oh yea. That looks awesome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Boneless-skinless? I see you raised the grid. What temp?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Wow. That looks great, Kristi.  The last picture looks like you might have put some sauce on top.  Did you?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Yes, boneless and skinless.

I cooked them for about 45 min at 400F.

VI: I didn't add a sauce but you're right, they look glazed -- must be the lighting in my kitchen?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Oh wow. That's got to happen. Very nice.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited April 2012
    I just ate lunch - and all of a sudden I feel hungry again.  Looks great NecessaryIndulg!

also quite coincidentally I have bacon, goat cheese, and chicken thighs in the fridge waiting to cook for dinner tonight!

hmm... no tomato or basil though....

hmmm... what else to stuff with?....  Pickled Banana Peppers maybe? 

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    YUM! Very nicely done.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • I know i beat this to death a few weeks ago but try using meat glue on the chicken and bacon. It locks it on there so tight that you cant pull them apart. Really holds the cheese in well (you can put a little inside the chicken and pinch the edges for a perfect seal) and the bacon stays tightly wrapped even when you cut into it. I know it sounds weird but you eat it all the time anyway- all deli meat has it, chicken nuggets, imitation crab, and a host of other things. May as well put it to work in your kitchen (plus it's really cool). No more skewers or toothpicks!

• I'm sure it isn't bad for you, but I don't think I could bring myself to use it.  I don't eat hot dogs, imitation crab, or chicken nuggets and well.... I'm going to pretend that Boar's Head meat doesn't have it.   :))
  • I'm sure it isn't bad for you, but I don't think I could bring myself to use it.  I don't eat hot dogs, imitation crab, or chicken nuggets and well.... I'm going to pretend that Boar's Head meat doesn't have it.   :))
    It does. I owned a boar's head deli for 4 years (great stuff, but the way) . It's not just in bad food. Lots of high end places use it too for effects and to cut down on waste of premium ingredients

I'll leave it alone and play with my weird food additives by myself :)

• I actually figured it out at a very high end restaurant here in Austin. They had a chicken skin so tight that I knew it was scraped and glued back on. It was so tasty- it was like a little salty chip on the outside of an airline breast. Then we had a prosciutto wrapped pork loin at another high end place that we knew was held on by the same stuff. I just started to Google it until i tracked it down. 

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Looks great Kristi! Will have to try those!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2012
    Centex and Kristi, do you pound the thighs or breasts with a meat mallet first ( get your mind out of the gutter) so they can be stuffed?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Centex and Kristi, do you pound the thighs or breasts with a meat mallet first ( get your mind out of the gutter) so they can be stuffed?
    L. O. L. :))

No, I didn't pound the meat -- the thighs were pretty thin:

• :\"> i do not done that either. Just roll em up
  • *do that (dang iPhone)
  • When I do breast I do pound them. I put them in a zip lock first (so it does not make a mess) then beat the crap of them. the thighs don't need it though.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

made this tonight - thanks for the recipe!

the only thing i would do differnt next timeis maybe indirect?  i cooked them on the raised grid and smoke was billowing out from the juice hitting the wood.  the smoke didnt ruin it but it did overpower the other flavors..

i did do a few wrapped in bacon and a few wrapped in pancetta.  definitely preferred the pancetta!

• I do them indirect

• XLBalco

yea i knew i made a mistake when i put them on lol..  oh well.. wasnt awful and would definitely make again

• yea i knew i made a mistake when i put them on lol..  oh well.. wasnt awful and would definitely make again

pancetta and prosciutto are both really good too. I actually got this idea from a prosciutto wrapped pork loin made with..............wait for it...................meat glue :)

• XLBalco
    funny you say that as i was just reading another thread and you were talking about.....................   meat glue...  i enjoy some good prosciutto.. may have to do a pork loin with some!
  • funny you say that as i was just reading another thread and you were talking about.....................   meat glue...  i enjoy some good prosciutto.. may have to do a pork loin with some!
    It's really good. The first thighs I did was with a 5 year aged prosciutto. My kids thought it tasted like feet so I switched to bacon.

• clbegis
    clbegis Posts: 6
    edited May 2012
    Did you debone the thighs yourself or pick them up already deboned?  I think I am going to try this out tomorrow and need to know if I am hunting for something that does not exist, ..... pre deboned thigh meat.  Will drive around if it does exist.
  • XLBalco
    Picked mine up deboned from Costco
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Did you debone the thighs yourself or pick them up already deboned?  I think I am going to try this out tomorrow and need to know if I am hunting for something that does not exist, ..... pre deboned thigh meat.  Will drive around if it does exist.
    I bought boneless / skinless chicken thighs.  WAY easier. ;)
  • Did you debone the thighs yourself or pick them up already deboned?  I think I am going to try this out tomorrow and need to know if I am hunting for something that does not exist, ..... pre deboned thigh meat.  Will drive around if it does exist.
    I bought boneless / skinless chicken thighs.  WAY easier. ;)
    For sure buy the de-boned. it's not the end of the world if you can't find them. They are easy to de-bone but no need to unless you have to.