Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table-How to get the egg in?

Options
Dan4BBQ
Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am very excited about my new stainless table arriving on Monday.

I will spend tomorrow cleaning the egg and taking the weight out of it.

How do I get the egg into the table?

I'm concerned with scratching it.  Is there a good way to lift it?

Please help---thanks

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Take the guts out and the dome off. It will be easy to lift. I did my XL by myself this way. I don't know how you would grip it with the dome in place.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Find a strong friend to help
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Take apart. I was able to do my xl by myself that way.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I assembled my Large in my table. Wife and I carefully lowered the base in and she isn't that strong. I reached through the hole from underneath, supported the weight as we lowered it, and she just guided the top as we lowered it. I probably could have done it myself if she wasn't available, but I would recommend getting a helper.

I agree with the others - empty it and take the dome off. The lid adds a LOT of weight to the unit.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options

Thanks much guys

I intend to just buy a patio brick at Home Depot to put under it. Any other ideas?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I assembled my Large in my table. Wife and I carefully lowered the base in and she isn't that strong. I reached through the hole from underneath, supported the weight as we lowered it, and she just guided the top as we lowered it. I probably could have done it myself if she wasn't available, but I would recommend getting a helper.

I agree with the others - empty it and take the dome off. The lid adds a LOT of weight to the unit.
    same here but we left the dome on. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

Put a towel or 2 on the table hanging into the hole - then when you slide it in and if it hit the sides the towel will protect it

• twlangan
    Options

I intend to just buy a patio brick at Home Depot to put under it. Any other ideas?

Use the feet too. I started out with it sitting on fire brick and a LOT of heat was transferring through the brick to the table on longer cooks. I added the feet and that solved the problem. The bricks barely get warm to the touch now. 
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I use only a paver under my egg. When I checked last week, I found the paver very hot to the touch. I am going to put the feet under the egg before my next cook. I also use the feet between the platesetter and the drip pan. Guess I'll be in the market for some more feet. Maybe wadded up foil would do for the drip pan.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    When we put my XL in my table.     I stacked four or five towels in the hole so I could lower it slowly by taking off a towel or two.     That allowed two of us to put it in place without taking off the dome and we did not scratch anything.    Someone will likely have a better idea but it worked for us. 
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options

Thanks much guys

It's steel, why put anything under it?  Nothing but steel under mine.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • twlangan
    Options

Thanks much guys

It's steel, why put anything under it?  Nothing but steel under mine.

Good point BOWHUNR! Never have seen stainless steel burn yet. I missed the part where it wasn't a wood table. No need for brick, feet, or paver.