Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ain't no Thang, but a Chicken Wang (taste test)

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
As you saw earlier, I got a care package from Dizzy Pig earlier this week and wanted to try them out. I divied up some wings and I'm about to throw them on. I used firewalk, swamp venom, shakin' the tree, tsunami spin and my stand by as a benchmark- Salt Lick rub.

Egg is fired up and ready and wings going on now. Results to follow.......

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    CT,

Is that rub from the Salt Lick in Dripping Springs?  If so, it's probably pretty good, huh?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CT,

Is that rub from the Salt Lick in Dripping Springs?  If so, it's probably pretty good, huh?
    Yep. And it's really good.. You can get it at HEB. If not, I'll send you one. Their sauce is so unique and good that you gotta try that too. Soybean oil and vinegar based. Never had anything like it.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chicken's don't have wangs - actually they have a  cloaca which is the posterior opening that serves as the only such opening for the intestinal, reproductive and urinary tracts.
    Why thank you Tweeve. I actually earned something today. Well played.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Chicken's don't have wangs - actually they have a  cloaca which is the posterior opening that serves as the only such opening for the intestinal, reproductive and urinary tracts.
    FAIL !  Mr. Tweeve, you are correct about the cloaca.  Your wording is straight from Wikipedia, so it must be true.  However, that has nothing to do with the wings.  Chickens and other birds have both.

Yet, I must admit that I have never seen a seal clubbing, syrup sucking chicken, so the Canukistanian species may, in fact, have no wings.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    What a plethora of chicken wangs you have there. Can't wait to see the finals. You've reminded me that I have been out of Slat Lick for way too long. Need to pick me up some soon. Think I'll be doing CAZ's Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Wings tomorrow, but might save a few and do salt lick.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Of course it was wikipedia.  Why should I write it out myself when I can say the same thing with a simple cntl-C / cntl-v.

Oh! It was a spelling error and was meant to be WINGS of a ****! I get it - sorry, I find this site so very confusing at times.

Lawd hab moicy !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Why thank you Tweeve. I actually earned something today. Well played.

* learned something. I have earned very little today. Already in the sauce at 3pm. Good Times

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, we have a surprise winner (unscientifically speaking, of course). Tsunami Spin takes it with Salt Lick a close 2nd. The others were all very good and bunched up too close to call. Most unique was firewalk for sure. Cool flavors with some serious heat.

My boss called and told me she is quitting in the middle of my cook so a few got burned over a hot spot but I got a good taste of all. Even I didn't have stones to put her on hold while I checked on my beer and wings at 3pm on a Friday :)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The wife says Firewalk #1, salt lick #2 FWIW

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What a plethora of chicken wangs you have there. Can't wait to see the finals. You've reminded me that I have been out of Slat Lick for way too long. Need to pick me up some soon. Think I'll be doing CAZ's Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Wings tomorrow, but might save a few and do salt lick.
    Glaze them with Salt Lick sauce too. Something about that combo makes for some freaky good wings.

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Intelligent design my ass.  Using the same real estate for a sewage out fall and sex carnival seems REALLY REALLY stupid.
    Seems to work for the chicken....
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    I wonder if they ship to the UK?!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dizzy or Salt lick?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I gotta do those wings too. I was tempted today but wanted to try all these new Dizzy Rubs

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man, I keep going back to the Firewalk. It's such a cool flavor and it lingers more than the others. Addictive as hell.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    try some turbinado sugar with the rubs....ration is up to you.   I'll typically go 2 or 3 parts rub to 1 part T. sugar.  purdy good. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    try some turbinado sugar with the rubs....ration is up to you.   I'll typically go 2 or 3 parts rub to 1 part T. sugar.  purdy good. t
    Hey Tom- Some of these Dizzy rubs have a lot of sugar in them. The salt lick is really just salt, pepper and cayenne for the most part. Do you like with EXTRA sugar even with sweeter rubs?

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options
    Intelligent design my ass.  Using the same real estate for a sewage out fall and sex carnival seems REALLY REALLY stupid.
    Seems to work for the chicken....
    Of course it 'works' it just could have been designed so much better.
    A little bit off topic.

I went to the other thread to figure out “your obsession besides grilling”. I did not see you mentioning one there (or I missed it) but nevertheless a couple of your posts there (and here) confirmed my suspicion!

LOL…
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    #1 Son: Swamp Venom BY FAR is the best and Firewalk is #2

I guess you can see that they were all really good and everyone has their own opinion. Think I'll do a mixed platter next time we have peeps over
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    Dizzy or Salt lick?

Dizzy but now you mention it salt lick would be good too

;)
  • gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    Options
    Man, I keep going back to the Firewalk. It's such a cool flavor and it lingers more than the others. Addictive as hell.

Uh... How many sugar cubes do you add to your coke ?

You can ask Fred's BBQ to ship a Dizzy Pig sample pack to you. I had a 10 sampler last year. Nice flavors !
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

+1 ... and I wish it was hotter!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dizzy or Salt lick?

Dizzy but now you mention it salt lick would be good too

;)
    I doubt Salt Lick does but I'll send you a care package if you want to try it. Check with Dizzy and if they won't,I'll have it sent to my house and I'll send it all in one package. You can just mail me a check