Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Pork Shoulder

Options
mvanvoorst
mvanvoorst Posts: 1
edited May 2012 in Pork

This is my first time using the forum.

I am planning on cooking 21 pounds of pork shoulder on my large egg.  It will be in 3 seperate 7 pound roasts.  Based on what I have read it should take about 14 hours if I am cooking at 250 degrees.  Can someone confirm that this is correct.

If I were to cook at 275 degrees how long would it take?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Every shoulder is different, but only for planning's sake count on 12-14 hrs for 7 pounders. As for making sure you get them done, cooking to temp is the only way to go. I cook mine to 198-200. I've never cooked them at 275, so no help for you there. Sorry.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    The general wisdom is to not try and time them to be done at a particular time. There's too much variation in that. Instead, err on the side of having them done, to internal temperature, early enough that they can be foil wrapped and rested in a cooler until 'game time' when you remove from the cooler, still hot, and pull. Hope that helps!