Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and chicken?

Options
Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
The inlaws are coming for Memorial Day weekend. Father-in-law loves my ribs, so that's definitely on the menu. I know this is shocking to everyone, but my mother-in-law is difficult and doesn't like ribs. (WTF?). So I was thinking of smoking a whole chicken while the ribs were going.

Never done that before, so want to get thoughts on time and setup. I do the 3-1.5-1 method for ribs so I thought I would put the chicken in at about the 2.5 hour mark to give it about 3 hours to finish at 250 degrees at the felt line

Ideally I think I'd want the bird on the top rack to get a little more heat but I don't think I want the chicken drippings falling on the ribs for safety sake, so I'll probably put the ribs up top.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chicken drippings are safe to fall on your ribs as long as you cook everything to temp. No safety issue but it might jack up the crust on your ribs. I would do chicken low and ribs high for that reason. Can't help you with times. been a while since I low and slowed a yard bird
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I have an XL   I did three racks of spare ribs for mothers day in a rib rack.    5 hours cook on the ribs and added a beer butt chicken 2 hours in.   It got to temp in about 2.5 hours.     My cook temp was 250 to start and I let it move up to 275.    Both turned out great.     I had the room that I did not have to stack anything.    
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I should add it was about a 5 lbs bird
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Get the woman some KFC and make more room on the egg for more ribs =))

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig