Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

important question concerning my low and slow BButts

gooddogjudgegooddogjudge Posts: 95
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior coals and expecting a 14-16 hour cook...do I use enough coals to reach midpoint of the ring (I think that's what it's called) before I put my platesetter legs up?

Comments

• bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,055
    I use Royal Oak and I fill my fire box to the top and 23 hours at 225°, it's almost gone. I would add a little more than chance running out. You can put the fire out when you are done and use the left-overs.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• i guess my question is whether the fire box includes the ring or do you fill to the bottom of the ring?

Yes, with ring. When I put my platesetter (legs up), I have to move the lump around some as the platesetter is hitting some of the lump before it sits on the ring.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• thanks bigguy.  that's the answer i was looking for!
  • wow- that is really high. I go to the bottom of the ring and have 25% left over after 24 hrs. Not to say that it's not right, just never loaded it that much.

I guess I have about 2 hours setting up and getting the temps good and then the cook time. Here is a thread of a shoulder I did. I filled the box so the plate setter hit it. The last photo in the thread shows how much lump was left.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1135987/bigguys-first-overnight-boston-butt#latest

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm not really sure how it compares to the level of the platesetter, but I use the spider (in the "legs down" position) with a stone in it for my low and slow indirect cooks, and the lump is almost or pretty much touching the bottom of the stone....always have a bunch left so i guess it isn't necessary for me to fill that much, but I never have to think about running out of lump.