Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Time Pork Shoulder

mvanvoorstmvanvoorst Posts: 1
edited May 2012 in Pork

This is my first time using the forum.

I am planning on cooking 21 pounds of pork shoulder on my large egg.  It will be in 3 seperate 7 pound roasts.  Based on what I have read it should take about 14 hours if I am cooking at 250 degrees.  Can someone confirm that this is correct.

If I were to cook at 275 degrees how long would it take?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Every shoulder is different, but only for planning's sake count on 12-14 hrs for 7 pounders. As for making sure you get them done, cooking to temp is the only way to go. I cook mine to 198-200. I've never cooked them at 275, so no help for you there. Sorry.
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,250
    The general wisdom is to not try and time them to be done at a particular time. There's too much variation in that. Instead, err on the side of having them done, to internal temperature, early enough that they can be foil wrapped and rested in a cooler until 'game time' when you remove from the cooler, still hot, and pull. Hope that helps!