Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What type of wood for smoking?

MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking and grilling for a while, but am new to smoking. How do you select what type of wood for different meats?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    That's an excellent question, Mike, and it varys from region to region.

I'm in the Southwest (Texas), so my preferences are:

Beef: Mesquite
    Chicken: Pecan
    Pork: Pecan or hickory
    Fish: Oak (although I'm starting to play around with other "foreign" woods

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Trial and error sir. Check online for what woods people generally use with what meats as a starting point. Some of the stuff you naturally won't agree with, for instance cedar planks and salmon.. gets no play in my house. I am still fully experimenting with wood smoke and meat combos for my preferences.
  • I use mesquite, oak, hickory, and pecan on most everything although all of the above can be overpowering to fish or more delicate cuts. Apple and cherry are good for lighter smokes although I rarely use them. Probably time for me to branch out......thud (actually no pun intended but I left it in anyway)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Jack Daniels for prime rib-and if not that then whatever oak I can find.

I like cherry for briskets-

Apple or cherry for pork butts-

Pecan for smoking peppers for chipolte-

Apple or pecan for fish (salmon most days)

Apple or cherry for chix-whichever I have handy-

Great inquiry...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Well....looks like I'll be headed to the dealer for some fancy ass fruit woods now. Great.

• lousubcap
    Well....looks like I'll be headed to the dealer for some fancy ass fruit woods now. Great.

With all your sous vide experience and everything else in your life (remember the "obsessions" post) there is no doubt you will enjoy the adventure-and the only one that I find close to a "must have" is the Jack and prime-hard to beat that pairing...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yeah, The jack is cool. Forgot about that one. I do have a few obsessions and none of them are cheap. I need to take up jogging. It's free.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Southern boy here, so hickory is king.  I like apple for ribs and use hickory for everything else.  Like CT says, various regions have their favorites.  I never use mesquite, but I'm sure if I lived in Texas I would use it all the time.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Yeah, The jack is cool. Forgot about that one. I do have a few obsessions and none of them are cheap. I need to take up jogging. It's free.

Nah, you can get really expensive sneakers, re-hydration kits (water bottle), gps tracking, and logging, etc. Anything can be taken to an extreme. ;)

Still playing around, but
    I'm definitely a fruit wood guy for pork, Apple, and cherry so far.
    I've only used Hickory on beef
    Chicken has been a toss up on the above woods. 

OK, I think I need to go wood shopping. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    This south Texan learned to Q using mesquite, live oak and pecan. Living on east coast discovered walnut, hickory, red and white oak and apple. Living in the Central Valley of CA discovered the wonderful taste of fruit woods and wine barrel chips.
    What wood used depends on what I am going to cook.
    BTW JD chips are good too
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Pecan!!!

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Pecan, apple, cherry and some hickory
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    I like a pecan and apple mixture for pork butts.
  • Smokin_Good
    Smokin_Good Posts: 80
    I found this as a good starting point. Then trail and error after that.
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Fruit for fish and poultry generally.

Mesquite for beef.

Hickory, pecan and oak go well with beef and pork.

One thing I have not seen anybody mention is Tabasco wood chips. Similar process as JD chips, but the smoke on these will actually lend heat to the flavor. Try 'em if you can find 'em.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    @ Griffin-thanks for the info on the Tabasco chips-I see them periodically and wondered how well they would work-willl pick some up next time.
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26
    I use the same wood as Salt Lick, County Line, Blacks BBQ, etc...... Oak
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Post oak.

I believe that Tabasco chips are made from the same wood as the JD chips, but the barrels held Tabasco instead of bourbon so offer a different flavor. I haven't seen any in awhile. Need to find some again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    Haven't noticed anyone mention Alder wood, but it is fantastic for fish, and even white meat chicken.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Salt Lick adds Pecan Shells as well.....but predominately Oak. But I'm with ya....Oak is my go to for Beef, Sausage and Turkey. But as of late have been dropping a lot of Pecan in the egg...especially on yard-bird. Not quite as strong IMO.
  • I use the same wood as Salt Lick, County Line, Blacks BBQ, etc...... Oak
    Salt Lick adds Pecan Shells as well.....but predominately Oak. But I'm with ya....Oak is my go to for Beef, Sausage and Turkey. But as of late have been dropping a lot of Pecan in the egg...especially on yard-bird. Not quite as strong IMO.
    Rudy's is Oak too.