Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting a Turkey Breast

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3.5 # boneless turkry breast brining per DrBBQ's recipe. I want to inject it, because I've never done it before, with some sort of concoction. Any suggestions regarding this? Also, for planning purposes, any ideas on time and temp. for this?

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    egret, If you're brining, you don't need to inject. But, if you still want to inject, no prob. I've used the cajun injector, Creole Butter marinade, available at Publix near the pickles and dressings, etc.[p]Brining seems to make the cook go faster. I'd cook indirect at 350, and expect it to take 1 1/2--4 hours, probably 2 1/2. Dont forget the smoke!
    Scott

• pointer
    pointer Posts: 41
    Options
    egret,[p]I Inject most of my turkey breasts with "Chef Williams" Creole Butter or Creole Garlic injectable Marinade. Never had a complaint Yet! :)[p]If I am cooking just for myself I use the Hot & Spicy version... Goodin Spicy :)[p]Enjoy... Pointer
  • Unknown
    Options
    egret,
    Give this a try.[p]BBQ Creole Butter Injection Marinade[p]Here's My Favorite Overnight Marinade for Poultry or Swine[p]· ½ lb butter
    · ½ can beer
    · 2 Tbsp salt (only add after the mixture is simmered if it seems to need it)
    · 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
    · 1 Tbsp Soy sauce (optional)
    · 1 Tbsp Frank’s Hot Sauce
    · 1 tsp garlic powder
    · 1 tsp onion powder[p](Adjust if you feel necessary - approx 12 lb bird)
    Mix all ingredients, simmer and then let cool (but still liquid)
    Stir well and inject in turkey, keep stirring mixture to keep it mixed
    Cover turkey and place in refrigerator for 24 hours (these spices will really marinate and break down the tough muscle). Remove turkey at least 1 hour before smoking or deep frying[p]The following is the ingredient list from the original recipe. It was too salty for my taste.[p]· ½ lb butter
    · ½ can beer
    · 2 Tbsp salt
    · 2 Tbsp Worcestershire
    · 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
    · 2 Tbsp Tabasco
    · 2 tsp garlic powder
    · 2 tsp onion powder[p]Scottie's Creole Butter[p]· ½ can of beer
    · ½ lb. Butter
    · 1 tsp. Bonesmokers Big Time BBQ Rub (any mild BBQ rub will do)
    · 2 tsp. Paprika
    · 1 ½ tsp. White Pepper
    · 1 ½ tsp. Sea Salt
    · 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
    · 1 ½ tsp. Onion Powder
    · 1 tsp. Coleman's Mustard
    · 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
    · ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    · ½ tsp. Tabasco[p]Let mixture cool a bit and then inject

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    egret, I like to use a really simple injection for poultry that comes out great....mix ½ & ½ butter and honey, melt in a pan (or microwave), let cool somewhat and inject. It would be a good idea to start monitoring the temp after 1½-2 hours, as a brined breast will cook quicker than a non-brined.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Thank you all for those excellent suggestions. Those recipes just found their way to my recipe collection........

• Unknown
    Options
    Mike_W,[p]Yeah that Scottie's is a good one!!! ;-)